Super Contributor

Re: Can't change E-bay Password

It's hard because ebay is being stupid and just plain awful. I'm sorry you're having this much trouble. I did it yesterday when ebay wasn't so bad (paypal on the other hand was awful).

Did you try entering the email? That's how you get the link to change the pw.

You've probably tried all the steps below, & sorry if they're too detailed. Here's what worked for me- I just reset mine again 2 mins ago.

You do have to be logged in with your current password.

Click on My Ebay -summary.

Then on that summary page, click on My Account (third tab from the left)

That should give you a drop down menu. Second item on that menu is "Personal Information."

Click on that. A bunch of information then shows up. The third line is the password, which will appear as asterixes.

To the right of those ***** is a link, "edit."

Click on that edit tab. You'll get a box asking for your email.

Type in your email address.

Then wait up to 5 mins for ebay to send you an email. That email should have a url you can click on or paste into your browser. You have 24 hrs from receiving that email to change the password.

When you click on that link, or paste it into your browser, you'll finally get the option to type in and confirm a new password

Again, this is what worked for me...hope it does for you too if you try it. Good luck!

Occasional Contributor

I too have same issues Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

Is it really necessary to change it? Seems kinda ridiculous after 3 months..........

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

I don't suggest changing your password for eBay through an e-mail. There are scammers that can get your password that way.

Log in to eBay yourself and then change the password. I've already received one scamming e-mail.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for all the suggestions. I gave up and called customer service the next day. They were able to help me. The strange thing was she could not send an email automatic she had to do so manually. What a hassle! I am sick of these hackers and trying to remember all the various passwords!!!!Sonnie

Honored Contributor

On 5/25/2014 kutira said:

Is it really necessary to change it? Seems kinda ridiculous after 3 months..........

Yes, it's necessary. And important. If your login information was collected by hackers, they might use it to try and access your account later.

Also, this security breach is a good reminder to never use a password for more than one site -- use a unique password for every website you visit. Hackers are keenly aware not only that people have a tendency to use common, easy-to-guess passwords (even an Internet search will show you articles listing those), but also that people have a bad habit of using the same password across multiple websites. Really, really bad practice to do that.

In this case, if your eBay password matched your PayPal password, you've just provided them easy entry into your financial account. (BTW: even though eBay and PayPal have the same ownership, their websites are separate and so far the PayPal site has found no evidence of a security breach.)

Think of your account on each website as one of your valuables... because it is. If it's worth the time and effort to protect any of your valuables, it's worth it to protect every site you access.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I had the same problem early last week--the volume of people using that part of the website actually crashed it. If you go into your account, by hovering on the left over the "Hello, Yourname" part, and look for account settings, click on that. Then go to Personal Settings and you'll see Password part of the way down on the list. Click on Edit. It is NOT a cleanly written way to change a password. Very non intuitive. But you should be able to do it.

Every time they issue a new email to warn people, the volume gets high and it's difficult to access.

Respected Contributor

Mine is a big mess. Lost my history and everything. Not convinced it was necessary.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a link from them to change my password last week, after I went to the site to change it.

Then today, I got an email telling about the whole thing and telling me to change my password. I think the email is just a little late. They're finally catching up with notifications.

Maybe you, OP, have gotten the same email and now will be able to complete the change.

ETA...The email I got looked "real"...@ebay ISP address, included my real name and ebay ID, explained the whole situation about why passwords needed to be changed.

Keepin' it real.