Contributor

Can't Backup iPhone to iCloud

I got my iPhone 4 several months ago, but am just now trying to backup to iCloud. After literally hours of Backup in Progress, I get a message that says The Last Backup Could Not Be Completed. I think I'm doing everything correctly: phone is plugged in, connected to WiFi and it's locked.

Anyone have any ideas on why the backup can't be completed??

Occasional Visitor

Re: Can't Backup iPhone to iCloud

[ Edited ]

As there is not enough information for your case, I don't know why you can't backup iPhone to iCloud. Here is my way: Go to Settings>iCloud and then scroll down to Backup.Here you can turn backups on and initiate a new backup immediately. If this is your first iCloud backup it might take a while to complete. Once the backup is complete, though, your iPhone will automatically backup when idle for an extended period of time and on an active wi-fi network. Of course, it is also simple to restore from iCloud after resetting your phone and choose "backup from iCloud".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hadaki wrote:

I got my iPhone 4 several months ago, but am just now trying to backup to iCloud. After literally hours of Backup in Progress, I get a message that says The Last Backup Could Not Be Completed. I think I'm doing everything correctly: phone is plugged in, connected to WiFi and it's locked.

Anyone have any ideas on why the backup can't be completed??

@hadaki,

I agree with @SueSwitheny that it might help to have more information.

In general, the first thing to check:  Is your WIFI connection strong?  It's possible the first backup, which will likely take much longer than subsequent ones, timed out or there was a problem with the connection.

I also would close all apps running in background, log out of iCloud, perform a soft reboot, and then sign into the iCloud account again, and retry the backup to see if it works.

If you still have problems, please let us know (or just call the toll-free number for your Apple support, or an Apple Store if you have one nearby).

hth!

~~~~~~

eta:  Hmmmm....  I just noticed the original post is from June 2012 and for some reason was bumped up today.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I am pathetically non-tech, but it has been my experience that on my equipment, a message like this means that something is "full".

Yes, I know that I'm using the wrong word, but my 16g iPad mini fills much faster than my other machines that have more Gs

I'm embarrassing myself, so I'll stop now.

Honored Contributor

I had trouble with my iPhone and iCloud photo storage this weekend. I used the Apple website to request a call from Tech Support. I would up speaking to tech support people from Apple, then Microsoft, then Apple again.

My experience with Apple tech support was very positive - especially in contrast to my Microsoft tech support experience. The Apple support people were able to walk me through steps to make sure my pictures were backed up and explained how I could move them into a Shared album so that they wouldn't be deleted from my iCloud account when I deleted them from my phone. The Microsoft person was useless and basically couldn't figure my problem out and told me to call Apple.

If you can't figure something out, it's worth it to call Apple.

Honored Contributor

I got the same message recently. I called Apple support and I'm out of storage space (unless I buy more for .99/mth which I did).

My phone/iCloud couldn't back up because I have lots of video/photos/games which take up a lot of memory storage. 

Perhaps this his is the problem.

Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

I'm being nosey.... Smiley LOL

Why did you have to call Microsoft tech support if your problem was with Apple's iCloud service?

Honored Contributor

@Cha1k wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

I'm being nosey.... Smiley LOL

Why did you have to call Microsoft tech support if your problem was with Apple's iCloud service?

My personal laptop runs Windows and will not back my pictures up to the computer. It's a Windows problem with Autoplay not recognizing the phone. My work laptop recognizes the phone, so I know the problem isn't the phone. But Microsoft was totally useless, so the Apple people gave me a cloud-based workaround.