Esteemed Contributor

Can anyone recommend an app for spreadsheets for iPad

...that is free?  I want to do a budget for someone and don't want to have to drag my computer with me.

Any recommendations?  TIA?  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend an app for spreadsheets for iPad

You can use Google Sheets it's free. You will need a Gmail account.

https://www.google.com/sheets/about/?gclid=CjwKEAjwka67BRCk6a7_h_7Pui8SJABcMkWRmbjj6kQKVDrRD5v0oE6nL...

Esteemed Contributor

Apple has a free app called Numbers that I find to be pretty easy to use. 

Also, there's a Microsoft Excel app that's free, but it has in-app purchase ads that sometime get annoying.

Those are the two spreadsheet/chart apps I use with iPad.

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Also, there's a Microsoft Excel app that's free, but it has in-app purchase ads that sometime get annoying.

Numbers isn't free.  Some of the newer devices, iMac, MacBook, iPhone, etc., have it installed by default.  If I want Numbers on my iMac, I have to buy it for $19.95. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Sometimes I wonder if I am buying an app without knowing it.  I always have a credit on iTunes to watch movies on Apple TV and sometimes I think I am paying for apps that I think are free.

I have Excel on my laptop.  I can use that if need be but it would be nice to have an app for iPad.  

Off to to check out the recommendations.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

Numbers isn't free.  Some of the newer devices, iMac, MacBook, iPhone, etc., have it installed by default.  If I want Numbers on my iMac, I have to buy it for $19.95. 

Sorry--I didn't realize Numbers isn't free.  It was free on my device (iPad), so I figured it was set up that way in iTunes for everybody.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, $19.95, isn't that an expensive one!  Never paid that much for an app before.  

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@glb613, $19.95, isn't that an expensive one!  Never paid that much for an app before.  

It's Apple's program Pages.  It's $19.95 for anyone who didn't get if free with their computer.  It was installed by default on my MacBook and iPhone but not my iMac or iPad. 

Super Contributor

Apple changed that a few years ago. Now offer it free on newly purchased devices/computers. Here is the link with explanation from Apple Support. It doesn't come pre-loaded, so if you want it, you go to the App Store to download it. It will say "get" on the thing you click to download. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202794

So the reason that Numbers is not offered for free to you in the App Store is because your computer was purchased prior to this program rolling out. My 2012 MacBook Air charges me in the App Store for Pages, Numbers, etc. if I bought a new computer today, these apps would be available for me to download for free. 

To OP - I suggest using the Numbers app on your iPad. It's just like Excel and you can save them as Excel format, as well. This would be of benefit to you if you created a spreadsheet on iPad, then wanted to continue to work on it on your computer, or vise versa. 

as far as whether an app is free or not, if it says "get" on the icon you click to download the app in the AppStore, then it is free. Now some of those apps have in-app purchases. So while it's free to download and use, sometimes there are additional things you had in mind to do with it that requires an additional cost. You can review what additional costs are subject to in-app purchases before downloading a free (or "get") app before downloading it. Usually listed on the right hand side on a computer....or if you scroll down to the middle of the app description area in iOS (phone/iPad). 

If that little green icon in the App Store has an dollar amount listed, instead of "get", than that means that is the cost to download the app. In other words the app isn't free. So free = get, dollar amount = paid. Both free and paid apps can have in-app purchases, which obviously cost to use those features. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lynnj, great explanation!  Thank you.  LM