Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can U receive photos on your Tracfone?

@151949 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:
@JGalt, yes, you can send a text message from an i-device to an Android, or any other brand phone or other device that is capable of sending and receiving texts.

Actually I thought this was incorrect so I googled it and it said - to send a text from an i pad you must use i messages and those can only go to another i device not an android. So to message someone from an i pad to an android you would have to send it as an e mail.

Hi @151949.  Messaging vs emailing:

text message is a SMS, Short Message Service, and is transmitted via phone technology.

A text message with an attachment is a MMS, Multimedia Message Service, and is transmitted via phone technology.

An email is an email, neither SMS or MMS, and is not transmitted via phone technology.

As to the rest of your post I had to ask myself WHY would Apple create a device that effectively cuts its users off from millions and millions of Android users?

So i Googled " can i send a text from an iPhone to an Android? " and saw this been a long standing problem, complete with lawsuits and multiple posting of how to "fix" this Apple issue. 

Then I Googled "can i send a text from an iPad to an Android?" I saw various protocols, depending on OS.

But the first thing i saw was a recommendation to seek out a different messaging app.

@After reading that, If I were @JGalt I'd take my iPhone and iPad in to an Apple expert and get things squared away without all this playing around.

Valued Contributor

Re: Can U receive photos on your Tracfone?

@x Hedge, I appreciate your interest in this issue.  Firstly, yes someone with an iPhone can text an Android phone. I have received texts on my Android Tracfone from an iPhone user. What prompts my efforts is that cellphones do not work inside my house.

I looked into the messaging function of my iPad to see if that would work for me to receive texts from people. Now I understand that can only be done from those using an i-device. My iPad uses wifi, but is not cellular connected. 

I am aware of another way to communicate between the iPad and an Android phone: that is using the Viber app.  That works fine. However both the sender and the receiver must have the Viber app, and since lots of folks don't use Viber, I can't text them from my iPad.  If I were trying to communicate with a friend, I would ask her to get Viber. However, I text, like to make a haircut appointment or to place an order for artisan bread.