Valued Contributor

Can I delete Apps on Tracfone

[ Edited ]

When I bought my tracfones from HSN for my husband and myself- they came loaded with apps we'll never use- yet if I want to delete them- they say they could affect other functions- is that true? Some are probably always running in the background - We don't really use all the functions so why do I need them and what would they affect if I DO delete or at least stop them from running? the Facebook app- or a weather app we don't need -- things like that- and of course those pesky robocalls- is there a way to not have them?I registered the phones with the DO NOT CALL but we still get calls from who know? We delete them but they're a pain  think these apps are mostly because of buying from hsn- not direct from Tracfone- but of course the HSN and QVC deals are much better for our usuage- and we have triple everything. TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Can I delete Apps on Tracfone

[ Edited ]

@sipp wrote:

When I bought my tracfones from HSN for my husband and myself- they came loaded with apps we'll never use- yet if I want to delete them- they say they could affect other functions- is that true? Some are probably always running in the background - We don't really use all the functions so why do I need them and what would they affect if I DO delete or at least stop them from running? the Facebook app- or a weather app we don't need -- things like that- and of course those pesky robocalls- is there a way to not have them?I registered the phones with the DO NOT CALL but we still get calls from who know? We delete them but they're a pain  think these apps are mostly because of buying from hsn- not direct from Tracfone- but of course the HSN and QVC deals are much better for our usuage- and we have triple everything. TIA

Delete what you don't want.  ROBO calls are impossible to stop so, don't waste your time.  You don't recognize the number, don't answer the phone.  Easy, peasy. 

Honored Contributor

@sipp  I have always bought my tracfones from either HSN or QVC and never have any spam calls.  I don't give my number out to any businesses or online anywhere so my number isn't out there.  I have deleted apps I didn't want on past tracfones with no negative results.

Honored Contributor

On Android phones, many Google apps (Google Maps, Chrome, etc.) come preinstalled as part of the operating system. You can delete them, but to do so typically requires rooting the phone and installing a new OS. It's not something I'd recommend. Any non-Google apps are typically very easily removed by going to the settings, "Apps and Notifications," clicking on an app you're interested in uninstalling, and seeing if it gives you an uninstall option. If it lets you uninstall it, you should be good to uninstall it. If not, you're better off just leaving it. If the apps get in your way, you can rearrange them on your screen and even hide them completely, but keep them on the phone.

As to spam calls, any personal data you have like phone numbers, email addresses, mailing addresses, etc. all have value these days and tend to get bought and sold. If you give your cell phone number to the wrong source, they'll sell it and you'll get deluged in spam calls. The same with email addresses. My dad never had an email address but when he needed to get his meds through an online pharmacy I set him up with one. The only place that email address was used was with his online pharmacy, and his inbox was soon filled with ads for Canadian drugs, and assorted pharmaceutical/health-related stuff. It was very clear that his online pharmacy had sold his email address as they were the only ones in the world who had it. They swore they'd never sell a customer's email, but yeah. They lied. He didn't even know his email address so I know he didn't tell it to anyone. I knew it and his online pharmacy knew it and no one else. If you're getting a lot of spam calls, someone sold your phone number. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

I too have had several Tracfones from QVC & HSN and have deleted apps. But just be cautious of what you are deleting, you can always delete facebook & messenger. But as someone else stated I would not delete maps, google of course your account app is important. Do a little research beforehand and when in doubt call Tracfone.  Hope this helps

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used a Tracfone forever until they stopped selling them for GSM network with service with AT&T.

My Tracfone kept telling me there was no room on the phone. I deleted everything I could but it still said no room.

I could not use any of the grocery store apps.

I ended up buying an unlocked Nokia with service from Tracfone. It has a bunch of stuff I won't use or need.

At least it has room for what I need. I basically use it for grocery apps plus texting.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a tracfone and I put all the apps that I don't use in a folder so I have 1 icon instead of 6 icons.  

LG K3 Boost Mobile Android Smartphone (LS450) | LG USA

See 2nd Icon with 4 apps in it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp 

On my Moto g7Maxx

i can disable some apps i don't want to use.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all who answered- especially Florida Pat- short and helped a lot!

Esteemed Contributor

Can you put a microchip in your phone to get extra memory?  Last week I bought an unlocked Samsung A21, the same phone QVC had on yesterday as a tsv.  Mine is now on my carrier, Verizon.  I added a 400 GB chip (under $25).  The phone I replaced only had 32 GB total.  My phone could take a 1 TB card (that is 1000 GB ).