Frequent Contributor

Main TV is hooked up to DVR. 

Can I hook up a bedroom tv to the cable plug coming out of the wall  in bedroom directly to the TV?  I dont want to get another cable box or dvr!

Respected Contributor

@WildFlowerUnicorn wrote:

Main TV is hooked up to DVR. 

Can I hook up a bedroom tv to the cable plug coming out of the wall  in bedroom directly to the TV?  I dont want to get another cable box or dvr!

@WildFlowerUnicorn it depends on provider. Mine is Cox. A mini-box (less expensive than main box) is required between wall and TV. 

Ask your cable provider.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you! I thought maybe I could get a cable cord and plug it into the cable area on the bedroom wall, and into the TV.  If I ask the Cable that wont be good, they will want me to get a cable box or a dvr.

Frequent Contributor

I have Spectrum. They dont have the mini box any more! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cable Question

[ Edited ]

If I'm not mistaken, that's how cable and satellite companies make money ...by selling you a box  (service) for each TV you have.  So you would need to call your cable company to get their service (a box)  for each additional TV you have. I don't think there's any legal way around that.

Honored Contributor

It depends on your cable provider.  Some providers scramble every channel, and you need a box to unscramble them.  Others may scramble most channels but leave some unscrambled.  You'll be able to view the unscrambled channels by connecting the cable directly to the back of your TV set.  At least, that's the way it worked with Time Warner until a couple years ago.

Try it - I think there's no harm in it.

Honored Contributor

DH knows how to get around that. He did when we had cable. He used splitters & I don't know what else.

I have been trying to get him to install a new antenna outside for our local channels. I can drop my DISH package down to basics while I try Netflix, Hulu etc to see what I want for TV programming.

I'm sick of paying $130 per month for nothing. There is hardly anything on TV worth watching to pay that.

Frequent Contributor

A splitter is a good idea and one I didnt think of. That is what Im going to do, thank you!

Thank you for all of the answers!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cable Question

[ Edited ]

A splitter will work. Then you will need to run a cable from that splitter to your other TV. The problem is with the type of cable you use. Some cables are not shielded and what that means is the cable will 'leak' a signal which can trigger an alert to your cable company and they might want to contact you regarding the 'leak'. Leaks are considered to be the illegal use of cable services, ones that are not paid for and you'll end up having to pay for the extra TV services. So just be aware of using splitters.

I know this can happen because it happened to me.

Honored Contributor

we have xfinity......YES, it is the boxes that really make the bill add up quickly. we pay it because we do use many different rooms to watch our televisions.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein