Respected Contributor

Re: COMCAST OUTAGES? JUNE 2019

@dooBdoo   Thanks for this information which I really appreciate.  I would love to know the reason for what I outlined earlier.  I wish Comcast would put up a better explanation on the screen or send a follow up e-mail or or voice mail to affected customers.  

I did not bother to phone them--yet.  And I am no "techie" so I always think it might be something I have done wrong.  I had dusted the top of the chest where all the gizmos for the cable sit the day before the intermittent outages started so at first thought I had loosened the hookup somehow.

I had Comcast when I lived in Connecticut so I've been a "captive" customer since 1982.  I did not have a computer at home when I lived there, so only had TV.  In those early days you paid your bill once every three months!

The last place in CT where I lived for eleven years I had repeated outages.  I would phone them, they would walk me through the self "fixes' but it happened several times a month and they would give me a $5.00 credit.

Finally, around seven years of putting up with this nonsense, I was tired of being the patient, long suffering customer.  I requested that a tech come to my apartment ASAP.  This was on a Saturday.

To my amazement one of their service men came on Sunday.  He checked everything inside the apartment and shook his head.  He told me to hang in there he would be back.

He went out to his truck and climbed a ladder examining at length the connecting wire/cable across the street.  He came back and told me he had discovered the problem.  He said it was a miracle I, along with other customers on my street, had any signal reception at all.  He said it was obvious from looking that for at least twenty years Comcast's people had been "patching" or "splicing" the wire.  He told me to be patient.  He proceeded that day to put up a whole new wire from across the width of the street from the main junction or whatever it would be called to the "feeds" to my side of the street.

Never had that difficulty again unless a storm knocked out the electricity or cable.  I just don't understand how they think it is okay to run their business like that with such lengthy "deferred maintenance" and expect to have satisfied customers.  But they had no real competition.  

And, of course their prices and confusing package offers, tiers, and bundles are so complex and the sales people don't even understand a lot of it.  At one point in CT I asked for a package that would include CSPAN 3 and was told it didn't exist anywhere.  I informed him that it did indeed exist nationwide and had been in existence for a long time--I had seen it at my daughter's residence while visiting DC.   Long pause on his end . . . oh, here it is--yeah we can "give" you that.  Unfortunate choice of words since we are paying for that!

In any event, thank you for your info and for indulging my venting.  

Honored Contributor

Re: COMCAST OUTAGES? JUNE 2019

You're welcome, @aroc3435.   Good heavens, I'd say that's "deferred maintenance" to the extreme!   All those years with Comcast have to be some kind of loyalty record...   you deserve a special discount for that.   But, of course, we know discounts are reserved for new customers. (sigh)    The packages really are inane.   This time around I have their VoIP for the first time, because the package with it was far less expensive than the package price without it.    I've also found that the offers can vary depending upon the representative.   I usually ask for their "retention" department but in some cases the first-line agent is required to take the basic information before passing the call along.   I can say that I've noticed an improvement in their customer support -- maybe in the past 6 months or so? -- because the reps seem to be more responsive, better informed.    I sense a number of changes with the company, but I have no idea what they are or if they're good for the customers.   I do hope you see fewer disruptions.    If not... vent away!    We'll listen and we'll also understand.   Take care.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova