Esteemed Contributor

Re: CAN I BLOCK BING SEARCH ENGINE?

[ Edited ]

W@on the bay wrote:

Now I have a question smart ladies😊 

I looked at search engines and my default is google

but beneath that are a bunch of other search engines that I've never used, some never heard of.

I've never looked at this before so maybe it comes with the chromebook?

Do you delete yours or just leave them?

Maybe they are just suggestions but if I wanted them I could just type it in the search bar right?

@on the bay 

Most browsers will allow you to change default search engines.

I am using an Android tablet and a Samsung browser with Google for searches. 

You may want to read about the different engines and try one. 

Esteemed Contributor

I installed duckduckgo as my default search engine.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Now I have a question smart ladies😊 

I looked at search engines and my default is google

but beneath that are a bunch of other search engines that I've never used, some never heard of.

I've never looked at this before so maybe it comes with the chromebook?

Do you delete yours or just leave them?

Maybe they are just suggestions but if I wanted them I could just type it in the search bar right?

@on the bay @Don't delete them. You can always choose one of them at a later time if you need to. Just keep the one you have selected as your default. To change, just go back and sekct another one as your default.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much @Mindy D !

I"m glad you knew what I meantSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I always delete all the other ones.  Oddly, however, at least on the Edge browser that damnable bing symbol is still on a search bar.  I have yet to find a way to make that go away.    I just use the address bar to search, to avoid it, just wish I didn't even have to see it.  One of the things I hate about Windows 10 is so many things that they won't let you change, yet changing or deleting them wouldn't hurt anything.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt

Microsoft is just protecting "Bing". I have tried "Edge" on my Samsung tablet and it works nice. 

I wish more sites would like my Samsung`s dark mode brower. 

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

I installed duckduckgo as my default search engine.

Duckduckgo is another one that protects your privacy.  It's one of the browsers in my drop-down list. 

Respected Contributor

I have been having problems with my desk top iMac redirecting me to Bing,Yahoo too. Strangely enough for the past few months, when I open and start the iMac, it tells every time that I have low memory. I checked my memory, and it has most of the memory free.

After a lot of research and trying to keep Google as my search engine, I discovered that choice of marquis dot com, is MALWARE and that prevents me from keeping Google as my search engine.

The problem with reading instructions on line,to remove that, is that Most instructions told me to download "Combo Cleaner" I researched that, only to find it is part of the problem. So don't ever down load that.This has been a frustrating search , but now at least I know the real problem. I will keep trying to find a reliable way to remove it.

I write this for those posters who tried to follow the instructions to keep Google and have so far been unable to accomplish this. Thre problem may be far more complex than you thought. BEWARE and be careful.