Honored Contributor

CAN I BLOCK BING SEARCH ENGINE?

This is not my area of expertise, so I'm not sure I'm even asking the question correctly ..... please bear with me.

When I do a search online, my computer defaults to Bing.  If I type in a proper website address, sometimes it defaults to a Bing search, instead of going directly to the website.  Why the re-routing?

I have since read that this is a money making ploy ... every time Bing gets a hit, or millions of hits, it's money in the bank.   It seems rather unethical, IMO.

Should I go to Google first, and then do my search, if that might work, or is there a way to "block" Bing? 

Honored Contributor

Re: CAN I BLOCK BING SEARCH ENGINE?

You should be able to go into your brower's Preferences and manage your search engines.  I use Chrome, so Google is obviously my default, but there are about 5 listed in a drop-down menu to choose from.

Respected Contributor

It's the same with Safari.

Go to settings, hit Safari, then hit  search engines and it gives you options.

Honored Contributor

I just go to Google.com when I need to search.  The results from Google are better quality than those from Bing.

Respected Contributor

You need to select the search engine you want.  What browser do you use?  I use Chrome.  Go to Settings and look for Search Engine.  There are choices...select one.

Honored Contributor

You can also set your homepage to Google.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

At the upper right corner of your screen find the 3 dots (or dashes). Click that and go to Settings. In Settings search box type search engine then look for Manage Search Engines. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now I have a question smart ladies😊 

I looked at search engines and my default is google

but beneath that are a bunch of other search engines that I've never used, some never heard of.

I've never looked at this before so maybe it comes with the chromebook?

Do you delete yours or just leave them?

Maybe they are just suggestions but if I wanted them I could just type it in the search bar right?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    Using Bing......type in Google.    There are directions on how to install Google Chrome on your device.   Once you have it set up, you can pin it to your "START"  and your "TASKBAR"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

I abhor Google for many reasons including their tracking and selling your info to every company of the planet, so I use 'STARTPAGE'.

It's a middle man, so to speak, to using Google's search engine.

It's free, you download it and choose it as your default browser, and it does the searches on Google without them being able to track you and sell your info.

I've been using this for years.

ETA:

Smartpage.com

Don't be tracked online. Protect your personal data.
  • Zero saving, sharing, or selling your search data
  • No third party trackers or cookies like other search engines
  • Un-profiled search results
  • Browse other sites in complete privacy with Anonymous View

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.