Esteemed Contributor

Buying New Smart Phone from the Manufacturer?

I desperately need a new smart phone.  The one that I have came from Verizon and only cost me $100.  It takes beautiful pictures, which is what I wanted, but in the past six months, I have had a problem with the assistant, which I do not need, but speaking in a foreign language so fast that no one could even understand.  Today on my walk, all of a sudden, I hear a language that I thought was German.  It was actually Turkish.  I was not even using the phone, as it was in my crossbody.  The phone is a Google phone.  I decided to go back to Samsung.

So, off to the Verizon store and the phone that I want is about $2K.  I look on the Samsung website, and the same phone with an automatic rebate is 799.  The c/s person tells me that this is a new phone and not refurbished.

If you have purchased directly from the manufacturer, how did that work out for you.  I am a little nervous doing this, but I would be saving quite a bit of money.  I would still need to take my phone to Verizon to get my number put on the phone and also to transfer everything over.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Buying New Smart Phone from the Manufacturer?

My DH just bought Apple I Phone 12 Pro from Apple store, they took his I Phone 11 in trade and gave him $400 credit towards new one, he was a very happy customer. 

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl  Wow, that's a huge price difference. I bought a Motorola (Lenova) unlocked phone direct from them, it was compatible with my provider's network but the customer support was awful.  45 minute hold times and snippy reps. And I couldn't get any help from my service provider of course  I'd carefully check reviews for that particular phone manufacturer. 

Respected Contributor

I spend $100/year for my phone and service with my Tracfone which

also takes wonderful pictures.

These numbers you are quoting is beyond me, I can't imagine spending anymore than that and I'm not considered a "cheap" person.  

I can text and talk, take pics, play games and do almost anything on that Motorola phone, it does more than I will ever use.

When someone or something starts talking to me ever, time to say "bye".

Esteemed Contributor

@decaf  My concern is customer service after the purchase.  I need a much better phone than what I have, but I just have never spent much on a phone and the numbers are outrageous to me.

@Just Bling Tracfone from the Q never worked for me and I had to send it back.

The phone that I have is ok for what I do on a daily basis, but I am going on a big trip next year and need a really good one for pics.  I will not have the luxury of having a Verizon store around the corner like I do at home, so I really need a dependable one that does not talk to me, especially in foreign languages.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl   

Why doesn't Tracfone work for you?    I've been a customer using Tracfone's for over 5 years, maybe 10 years and they are great phones.

Gardenman bought a more expensive one and if you page him I'm sure he can give you a review of how the pictures look.   

Super Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I desperately need a new smart phone.  The one that I have came from Verizon and only cost me $100.  It takes beautiful pictures, which is what I wanted, but in the past six months, I have had a problem with the assistant, which I do not need, but speaking in a foreign language so fast that no one could even understand.  Today on my walk, all of a sudden, I hear a language that I thought was German.  It was actually Turkish.  I was not even using the phone, as it was in my crossbody.  The phone is a Google phone.  I decided to go back to Samsung.

So, off to the Verizon store and the phone that I want is about $2K.  I look on the Samsung website, and the same phone with an automatic rebate is 799.  The c/s person tells me that this is a new phone and not refurbished.

If you have purchased directly from the manufacturer, how did that work out for you.  I am a little nervous doing this, but I would be saving quite a bit of money.  I would still need to take my phone to Verizon to get my number put on the phone and also to transfer everything over.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Reset it back to factory condition.  I don'tunderstand why people don't try this first before spending a lot of time and money for repairs or a new phone.  Just like with a computer, it will breathe new life into your device and work like new.  Back up or make copies of everything you can't afford to lose before proceeding. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling  I don't remember why it did not work, except that I could not get my emails.  I am sure that it was my fault, but I do not have the patience to deal with it.  The phone that I have only cost $100 total (Verizon did have to replace it one time at their cost), but I have gotten my monies worth over the 3+ years that I have had it.

@gadgetgal613  I should reset it and might, but one of the problems that I had was that the camera stopped working and Verizon replaced it.  I do not want that happening on my trip, although there are never any guarantees, and I don't want the constant problems that I have had with it.  My friend also has a Google phone and has had the same difficulties and she is planning to go back to Samsung.  

The bottom line is that I am planning on going to the Arctic Circle and I don't believe that I will find a Verizon store there.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl  Yes, I was talking about the poor customer service I experienced after purchase.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl  Why not purchase a digital camera for your "big trip?"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif