Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying New Smart Phone from the Manufacturer?

@Mz iMac  I have given that some thought, but since I have had problems with my phone for a long time, I am trying to get what I need in one device.  The phone that I have actually takes great pics, but it just that every other week I am in the Verizon store trying to remove various languages that seem to start up without using the phone.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl   Sounds like your phone is bugged or someone has a tracking device on your phone.

I wouldn't feel safe, just like those people from Amazon that listen in on customers conversations through Alexa.

I think Gordon Ramsey summed it up a couple weeks ago on his Hells Kitchen Show....he said something like "you kids just put it all out there".

No one taught them privacy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling  I cannot imagine that my phone is bugged.  I rarely use it, except a few texts and getting into the Y.  I do not shop on the phone or even make phone calls.  The main thing that I do is take pics, which is why I need a phone that has an excellent camera.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl

Samsung will bring three phones to market on August 11th. The Galaxy Fold2, Galaxy Z Flip,and the S21 FE. 

Samsung always has a pre-order promotion. You can reserve a place in line at Samsung.com. I received three emails since last week. I brought a phone last year. 

You should be able to find leaks for all three phones on YouTube. 

I believe you would luv the S21FE. It will be budget friendly, has  great cameras,  a fast processor, and the latest 5G radios. 

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@SXMGirl   

Why doesn't Tracfone work for you?    I've been a customer using Tracfone's for over 5 years, maybe 10 years and they are great phones.

Gardenman bought a more expensive one and if you page him I'm sure he can give you a review of how the pictures look.   

I bought the Motorola Moto G Stylus and it's fine for me. I bought it for the better camera (48 MP, 3 lenses, a wide-angle, normal, and macro lens.) The 128 GBs of internal storage (and I've added a 256 GB micro SD card for photos/videos.) It shoots 4K video. It's fine for me. It's not a top-of-the-line, flagship phone, but it does everything I need it to do. HSN has it all the time at $199 for the phone and a year's service. QVC had it marked down to $179.99 when I got it and Honey had a $5 off coupon also, so I got it for $174.99. I suspect it'll come down more in future sales, but I was okay paying the $175 for it. 

Most Tracfones come with just 32GBs of internal storage and I was always running out of storage, so I went with an upgraded model. 

I would be suspicious of a $2000 phone being sold directly from the manufacturer for $799. That's atypical. You typically save more buying from the service provider than you do by buying direct. My phone, directly from Motorola typically retails for $299 at their site and is now discounted to $229 on their site. I paid $175 for the phone and a year's service.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

@SXMGirl   

Why doesn't Tracfone work for you?    I've been a customer using Tracfone's for over 5 years, maybe 10 years and they are great phones.

Gardenman bought a more expensive one and if you page him I'm sure he can give you a review of how the pictures look.   

I bought the Motorola Moto G Stylus and it's fine for me. I bought it for the better camera (48 MP, 3 lenses, a wide-angle, normal, and macro lens.) The 128 GBs of internal storage (and I've added a 256 GB micro SD card for photos/videos.) It shoots 4K video. It's fine for me. It's not a top-of-the-line, flagship phone, but it does everything I need it to do. HSN has it all the time at $199 for the phone and a year's service. QVC had it marked down to $179.99 when I got it and Honey had a $5 off coupon also, so I got it for $174.99. I suspect it'll come down more in future sales, but I was okay paying the $175 for it. 

Most Tracfones come with just 32GBs of internal storage and I was always running out of storage, so I went with an upgraded model. 

I would be suspicious of a $2000 phone being sold directly from the manufacturer for $799. That's atypical. You typically save more buying from the service provider than you do by buying direct. My phone, directly from Motorola typically retails for $299 at their site and is now discounted to $229 on their site. I paid $175 for the phone and a year's service.

@gardenman Samsung always offers a promotion on a flagship phone.  

Regular Contributor

Hi SXM girl: my thoughts, Apple all the way. If you have a store near you, they will talk you through all the options but the customer support and service cannot be beat. Plus, Apple products are exceptional quality and I've had very few glitches or problems with a Mac, several iPhones, and iPads. Their phone and customer support is terrific. There is a large price range with their phones so most likely something that meets your price/ performance needs. 

Regular Contributor

I bought my iPhone directly from the Apple store a few years ago. I've always been happy with the customer service there. They gave me a credit of $150 for my old iPhone (6 years old). The salesperson helping me also pointed out that he sees a less expensive plan for my carrier that I might want to consider. It wasn't much, but $10 a month is helpful. They set the new phone up for me, transferred my data from the old one, showed me the new features that differed and wped all the info from the old one in front of me. When the time comes for a new one again, that's where I'll go. 

Super Contributor

@NigelSparkles wrote:

I bought my iPhone directly from the Apple store a few years ago. I've always been happy with the customer service there. They gave me a credit of $150 for my old iPhone (6 years old). The salesperson helping me also pointed out that he sees a less expensive plan for my carrier that I might want to consider. It wasn't much, but $10 a month is helpful. They set the new phone up for me, transferred my data from the old one, showed me the new features that differed and wped all the info from the old one in front of me. When the time comes for a new one again, that's where I'll go. 

I'm sure the service is great but, many of us, myself included, don't have an Apple store nearby.  I don't really need a new phone but, I would like one with a better camera.  I was waiting for a vacation to buy new and the trip was cancelled.  I may just go get a new phone.  There is no way I'd order a new iPhone for delivery.  Too many porch priates so, I'll buy either at BB or Verizon. 

Contributor

I went from over 12 years with everything Apple,  to buying the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 512gb, which is hard to find now, directly from Samsung with a great pre-order promotion deal.   Never looked back.   And my family is mostly Apple, which makes it a little more complicated for iMessage only, esp. texts that contain videos.    i have to use my Apple ID on my iPad to get family videos in iMessage.   So that could be a setback for many.   IMessage just corners the whole market for texting.   But that's about it.

I had a great experience purchasing directly fro Samsung.   And I have purchased quite a few Samsung items since then, including the new Galaxy Book Pro 360 laptop, again, directly from Samsung.    So no complaints here buying from the manufacturer.