Honored Contributor

Re: Bought a new Laptop, about to send it back !! Frustrated !

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Here's my story. I bought the recent HSN TSV HP 15.6" Laptop. I have been trying to set up my WiFi connection for several days, no luck. I have Spectrum and when I put in the password from my router, the Laptop will not connect. I contacted Spectrum, confirmed I was following the correct procedure, went online to HP, can't connect with a live person and the virtual assistance is useless. I called HP, no live person available (tried several times) I even contacted HSN  CS to voice my problem and they had no answers. Has anyone ever had a problem of this nature? I even went online and reviewed information about Spectrum routers. This new laptop ask for my credentials /security key when I try to add WiFi but again it says unable to connect. Should I send it back ?? Could it be a problem with the Laptop itself ?  HSN will send me another one but I'm not sure I would want it. The one I have now is about 12 years old and works fine, I just wanted to update. Any suggestions ?  thanks

A 12yo computer may seem to work fine but it is seriously not a secure device to use at all.  It is too old to accept all the security updates...the hardware simply cannot handle what is current today when it comes to protecting your private information. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and links to solve this problem, I really really appreciate your help. The problem has been resolved and I feel like a fool !

I was talking to my daughter, telling her how I have tried to get help from HP( unable to reach anyone) help from spectrum, help from you nice people here and that I even tried to get help from the Best Buy Geek Squad but I didn't have a geek squad account so unsucessful there as well.

I told her again how I tried to connect the Wifi using the router password but every time I tried to add the numbers included in the password it would not connect. She asked if I had the Number lock key on and I said I didn't know hadn't used that key. So while on the phone with her I clicked the # lock key, then re entered  the pw, and like majic the WI Fi connection was accepted.  My mouth dropped, she started laughing hysterically and so did I. It was just that simple. She said mom you didn't mention the login would not except the numbers you tried to enter. Duh !! Never to old to learn something new.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Here's my story. I bought the recent HSN TSV HP 15.6" Laptop. I have been trying to set up my WiFi connection for several days, no luck. I have Spectrum and when I put in the password from my router, the Laptop will not connect. I contacted Spectrum, confirmed I was following the correct procedure, went online to HP, can't connect with a live person and the virtual assistance is useless. I called HP, no live person available (tried several times) I even contacted HSN  CS to voice my problem and they had no answers. Has anyone ever had a problem of this nature? I even went online and reviewed information about Spectrum routers. This new laptop ask for my credentials /security key when I try to add WiFi but again it says unable to connect. Should I send it back ?? Could it be a problem with the Laptop itself ?  HSN will send me another one but I'm not sure I would want it. The one I have now is about 12 years old and works fine, I just wanted to update. Any suggestions ?  thanks

A 12yo computer may seem to work fine but it is seriously not a secure device to use at all.  It is too old to accept all the security updates...the hardware simply cannot handle what is current today when it comes to protecting your private information. 

@SilleeMee my main computer is a Mac, but I also have a Toshiba Windows machine and I run Windows 7 on it.  I have no plans whatsoever of updating it.  I only run a couple of programs on it, one is native to XP and the other the developers have told me they have no plans of abandoning Windows 7.  Even if they do, as long as I don't buy any update that doesn't support Windows 7, I can still use the program.  The only time I use wifi on it is to update that one program, and since they now have a new version that I haven't yet bought there's no reason to even do that.  

I have virus protection software on my MAC that covers both MAC & Windows, so if I want to download a program for my Windows machine, I do it on the MAC and then transfer it over, not that I do it that often since the computer has limited use. I just found it cheaper to buy a cheap Windows machine than to try and keep updating Parallels to run Windows on my MAC and it tended to be slow and buggy anyways.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I am glad you figured this out.  The computer would not need an ethernet cable if it had wifi.  That did not add up.

Frequent Contributor

Goodie2shoes,

Thank you for the smile!  It's always the obvious isn't it.  I could see myself doing something like that too.--Karen 

Contributor

I hope your next computer comes to you in good shape. However, I would never buy a device  from a shopping channel. I always buy from the Acer  or HP store online. I get a cheaper price and  I never had any  problems and I have had  many devices though the years. Good  luck on your next order.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Back to HSN  it goes !  I discovered it needs a ethernet cable. I didn't want a laptop that has to be stationary.   Learned something new, I need a Laptop that's portable, don't remember that mentioned in the presentation. 

@Goodie2shoes @I don't think this is the problem. I think the use of an Ethernet cable is just an option. It's a laptop. They do not need to be tethered to a wall. You're just stuck in a temporary set up problem. Once you get a hold of someone you'll get it going. 

DO YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS A WIFI BUTTON ON YOUR KEYBOARD THAT YOU HAVE TO TURN ON. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

@Mindy D wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Back to HSN  it goes !  I discovered it needs a ethernet cable. I didn't want a laptop that has to be stationary.   Learned something new, I need a Laptop that's portable, don't remember that mentioned in the presentation. 

@Goodie2shoes @I don't think this is the problem. I think the use of an Ethernet cable is just an option. It's a laptop. They do not need to be tethered to a wall. You're just stuck in a temporary set up problem. Once you get a hold of someone you'll get it going. 

DO YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS A WIFI BUTTON ON YOUR KEYBOARD THAT YOU HAVE TO TURN ON. 

Read the thread- the OP solved her problem.

Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Mindy D 

@Mindy D wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Read the thread- the OP solved her problem.

Yep, what she said.

Contributor

I also received a new computer and tried 5 different numbers listed on my router, including its password.

Finally, I read about pressing the WPS button---only it was not called that in the instructions.  Do not the reset button, that will not work.

.But it can be difficult to find your "button". Mine is on the front of the router and looks like a decoration, nothing like a button. I was amazed when I pressed it and it actually WAS a button. Pressing the button worked like magic

The hardest problem for me is that everything in setup forces you to use only microsoft emails and passwords. I have not used them in years, thank goodness I keep everything backed up and was able to find my MS ID and PW.

Microsoft caused my setup to take at least 2 hours longer than it should have.

Good luck to others