Honored Contributor

Re: Bought a new Laptop, about to send it back !! Frustrated !

Did you call your internet provider?  Or HP?  If not, do that.

My iPhone 8+ just crashed so I upgraded to iPhone 12.  It was a bear to get set up but my internet provider and Apple helped.  

Respected Contributor

I have my laptop PW and Sec Key written down so when asked I KNOW what they are.  However, sometimes when asked for the Sec Key it works by putting in the PW instead.  You could try that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes

Have you considered buying a iPad 8th generation , 10. 2"  128GB tablet? Amazon has the best price on this device.

An iPad is portable no ethernet cable. 

You can find unboxing and reviews on YouTube.

A YouTube channel where the owner reviews only tablets is " My Tablet". 

Esteemed Contributor

I hear your frustration.  I only buy electronics in person.  I will not buy online.  No real help especially with Covid in full swing.  

Suggestions

1.  Get outside help... friend... or tech that will come out.  Cost you but you will not have this grief.

2.  Buy a contract and relly on someone to be available online or in person for a year to see that you are okay.

Respected Contributor

There is a wi-fi setting that can be turned on and off. Do you have wi-fi wireless off by any chance? I got an HP in 2017 that has an Ethernet port and it usually would automatically adjust to wireless if that is what I was using.

Go into the settings or ask a friend to check it for you. It may an easy fix and you may love it after that.

Honored Contributor

Okay, to clear up a few matters, I suspect the ethernet cable was for Spectrum to troubleshoot the issue for her and not for a "normal" connection. In order for them to log onto her computer and help her, they'd have to be connected in some manner and an ethernet cable to her router would be the easiest way to solve a wifi issue. They could then log into her computer (with her permission) and try to resolve the issue.

Router passwords absolutely have to be entered correctly. Areas where things could go wrong is a "1" or an "I" (that's a capital i, or "l"(small L) look remarkably similar. The same with the number 0 and the letter O. (Even a capital Q can be mistaken for an O or 0.) And some randomly generated passwords used on devices use those letters/numbers which is a pet peeve of mine. (Want to drive a hacker crazy, make your password something like lllIIlllIII, which is a combination of capital I's and small L's. Anyone looking over your shoulder hoping to steal your password will be more than a little confused.) 

You also have to pay attention to uppercase or lowercase when entering passwords. If there's any discrepancy, it fails. If you have another device that's connected to your wifi you can often learn the password from that device. There are online step-by-step guides to show you how to do it with a Windows computer that's on wifi and some other devices let you see the password also.

If your router has a button on it labeled WPS that could make your life much easier. (Most newer ones do.) Here's a link to how to use that to set up your new computer.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-connect-windows-10-devices-wireless-networks-using-wps 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you tried this link?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04855309

I just found this online.  If this isn't it you may be able to find it on their website.

P.S.  Here is another one:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-connect-an-hp-wireless-laptop-to-a-network

These came up easily when inquired, maybe this is a common problem.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

There is a wi-fi setting that can be turned on and off. Do you have wi-fi wireless off by any chance? I got an HP in 2017 that has an Ethernet port and it usually would automatically adjust to wireless if that is what I was using.

Go into the settings or ask a friend to check it for you. It may an easy fix and you may love it after that.

Good point about WiFi.  My Dell laptop has a button for turning it off and on.  I've accidentally hit it a few times and wondered what was wrong.

I think most if not all laptops are made to be used wirelessly.  

Honored Contributor

Unplug the router's power cord from the electrical wall outlet, wait about 15 seconds then plug it back in and wait for it to reboot. Try connecting the laptop again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

You may want to contact you cable company., and have them replace the router.

You need to have a tech come to your home.

People here are talking about passwords. The wireless card may not be any good. It could be the network speed. We are all guessing.

Please contact your cable company. If you have had this router for more than 3 years. It is time for an upgrade.