Respected Contributor

Hi everyone..........we are in the process of replacing all of our old TV's with HD wide screen ones. We have one already in the house so I thought the process would be simple. Not so at least for us who are not electronic savy at all.

We use Dish Network and have one computer that is on DSL. We live in the sticks so this is all that we can get. We went to Best Buy and purchased 4 different sized TV's. Then my husband decided that he wanted to get a new DVD player. He wanted a Blue Ray so we asked about the differences and decided to go with a Sony one. Now the salesperson at Best Buy tells us that there are 2 models one that you need to connect to a wireless router to get updates and the other you need to use a cord. The computer is upstairs in an office and the TV with the DVD player is downstairs so the cord is out of the question. We do not have wireless so I am told this will involve having to add a wireless router. My question is we do not want to use it for anything other then to watch movies ....nothing else. Also have a lot of old movies that were not widescreen so I was told that this will convert them and play them. I was told that I still have to connect to wireless for the updates or down the line the DVD player will not play certain CD movies. I do not understand this at all and would love for someone to explain what they are talking about. I am almost tempted to return the Blue Ray and just get a plain old DVD player.

Just talked to Dish Network and since we have so many TV's we are going with the new Hopper set-up. They need to come here and make a lot of changes......should be interesting. Glad that I called them though....they are saving us a lot of money. We were going to have the Geek squad come out to install it all and now other then the cost of the hoppers and the $1.00 more a month on our bill it is saving us over $500.00. Would love to know if anyone has the Hopper and if it is user friendly for non savy people like us. THIA