Super Contributor

Black Friday HP computer question.

Item E234427 - is this a good computer for home?  Any information appreciated.  What about virus protection.  It states Windows 10 has virus protection.  I am not familiar with Windows 10.  Also does not have support so how hard to learn?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black Friday HP computer question.

Hi

If you check a few postings behind yours - we've been chatting about this printer.

I'm no expert but HP great for home or office.

Virus Protection question:  your computer probably already has protection.  This is just a printer - scanner - FAX.  I assume the printer is protected by - from your computer already.

Find a friend who can 'connect' the HP to computer (cable - software recognition - et) and you should be good to go.

I don't use wireless - which may involve more - but I'm not aware of what that might be.

$49 is excellent - Amazon has $70 - $99

Honored Contributor

Yes, it would be good for home. 

Need more information, though.  What operating systems are you familiar with?  

I think Windows is easy to use; however, I've been using it since it was released by Microsoft.

You can buy books that take you step by step.

Troubleshooting can be a bit tricky for newbies, but HP should offer a year tech support.  If not, do you have any techie friends or acquaintances.  Most of the time troubleshooting is easy to remedy without needing tech support.  Like turn off the computer and turn it back on.  

If there is tech support and not with HP, it's probably with a third party vendor.  You don't want that.  One recently went out of business.  It isn't listed, so I would ask QVC or call HP.  If not, unless you know someone, you might have to pay for it somewhere.  

Yes, Microsoft has Windows Defender anti-virus that I hear is good, but I use Norton.  

Super Contributor

Foxxee - thank you so much for the answer on the computer question.  I currently have XPS 8 and geek squad service.  I have not had a hard time with this one, but having issues now it is about 9 - 10 years old (not a laptop).   Not familiar at all with 10. Few that I know could answer my questions on 10.  HP does not offer help with this Black Friday  edition.  I would imagine that I would have to replace the antivirus on this one with another and I'm not sure if that would work. Would that need to be done for extra safety?  HP has not answered some of the questions online yet.

Honored Contributor

Windows 10 really shouldn't be an issue for you. It's not that hard to use. You point, you click, stuff happens. It's pretty easy. As to antivirus, I just use Windows Defender that comes with Windows 10 and I've had no issues. If you have any problems, just post them here and someone will help you. It's all pretty easy though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@toril  "HP does not offer help with this Black Friday edition"

"Also does not have support so how hard to learn?"

**My personal opinion**

I find it hard to believe HP does not offer support under its warranty period.  Does not make sense to me.  If that is the case, I would never purchase a computer w/o support of some kind. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@toril wrote:

Item E234427 - is this a good computer for home?  Any information appreciated.  What about virus protection.  It states Windows 10 has virus protection.  I am not familiar with Windows 10.  Also does not have support so how hard to learn?

@toril

I looked over all of Qvc's HP laptops and this one is not good.  lt has a poor quality display and a slow hard drive.

JMO. 

If you want to buy a Dell XPS desktop go to the company site and contact the sales department for assistance.

Dell computers are sold in two different footprints small or medium. 

It just depends what components you want to buy like a DVD drive or a faster processor. 

The case will require an upgrade to accommodate the components. 

You may need to have a larger power supply installed. 

You will need a sales person to help you with a purchase. 

I would buy an Intel i5- 10 processor. These are powerful enough.

I buy a Dell XPS Ultra Sharp monitor. The company should have a 1920X1200 resolution product in the inventory. This  IPS panel will display text well and you can adjust the font size without distortion.

You will need a sales person to help you make sure the connectior on the graphics card and display are compatible. 

I do not buy a service contract on a Dell XPS computers. They come with a one on site hardware warranty. 

My two cents. You will not be happy with a Black Friday Deal.

I want to say shame on the Geek Squad. Someone should have recommended you buy a new computer. 

Super Contributor

Thanks to all.

Respected Contributor

It might be.  But, I wouldn't buy a computer from ANY TV Shopping Channel.  I'd go to the manufacturers' websites, a reputable computer store or, for Apple, to a Retail Store or Authorized Reseller.  Don't trust what I see being hawked on TV.