Trusted Contributor

Happy New Year, Friends! Smiley LOL

I'm getting this error message when trying to upgrade my MacBook Pro to Big Sur:

An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

I've tried 3 times. Does anyone here know what's up?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Of course the Apple Care that I paid for two years ago is meaningless in the days of Rona.

dee

Respected Contributor

Re: Big Sur installation issue

Don't know what you're talking about.  Is your Apple Care still valid?  If it is, you should be able to talk to a tech.  Why is that a problem?

Honored Contributor

live chat to apple

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Happy New Year, Friends! Smiley LOL

I'm getting this error message when trying to upgrade my MacBook Pro to Big Sur:

An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

I've tried 3 times. Does anyone here know what's up?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Of course the Apple Care that I paid for two years ago is meaningless in the days of Rona.

dee

I don't "know" what's up, but my suspicion is it's looking for a file or device that it thinks should be there and is not finding it. I would think if it was something common like not enough memory, you'd get that specific information. A quick look at the official Apple Support Forums shows a few people in the recent past with this issue, but no clear solution is posted. One poster thought the computer got confused because he had both wifi and an ethernet cable connected. When he disabled the wifi the update worked. Your best bet is to reach out to Apple directly. If it is a missing file, a reinstall of your old OS might restore the missing file, then allow you to install the new OS, but that's just a guess on my part. Reaching out to Apple is your best option.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle   Apple will still talk to you and walk you through what's wrong.  I've spoken to them twice since the Pandemic, and I don't have Apple Care.

Just click on "Support" and follow the information.  It finally gives you a choice to call them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau