Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beware when buying printers from Walmart

We buy a lot of our electronics at Walmart. Whenever we have had to return one, they have never checked the serial number, just checked that the item in the box is the item on the picture.

Honored Contributor

Stores have to be very careful with returns and especially returned electronics. Scammers will play all kinds of games with merchandise and can bankrupt a store if the store isn't vigilant.

I know the Best Buy chain had big issues with a band of thieves who would buy a low end laptop computer, VCR, stereo receiver, etc., take it to their van, copy the UPC code from it, print out copies of the cheap UPC code then return the cheap item to get their money back. Meanwhile they'd peel off the replacement UPC stickers and place them on a very high end product from the same manufacturer and check it out at the price of the low end product. They'd walk out with a $1500 stereo receiver for $200. They'd then sell it online for whatever they could get and make a killing. They'd split up the task among a few different people with one person doing the initial buy, a second person covering the original UPC sticker with their copied one, and then a third person buying the item with the reprinted UPC code. It was a good scam for them. They made a lot of money for a few years until Best Buy changed their procedures. Best Buy changed their procedures to include scanning the serial number and having a second clerk verify the receipt and product to be sure the two matched.

In the OP's case, I suspect someone had originally bought the defective printer and thrown away the box and packing material, then discovered it didn't work and decided to return it, but without the original packaging the store won't take it back, so they bought a second one, switched the printers around so the non-working one was in the box instead of the one that came with the box and returned it to get their money back. A bit of investigation on Walmart's side could pretty quickly resolve this issue. A search through their database should show when the original printer was purchased and could provide enough information to validate the exchange. What the person who exchanged the printers did was probably legally theft by deception, but prosecuting it would be largely pointless.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

On 8/15/2014 kachina624 said: If he'd pitched a fit, I bet they would have changed their mind. Unless they had a "no returns" sign posted they're obligated to accept the return. I bought an iron there once and somebody's old iron was in the box. Walmart should check this stuff when it's returned. The onus is on them.

I wasn't there, but he did kind of pitch a fit and demanded to speak to the manager. He's not one to just let things slide (believe me!). It was both the clerk and manager that told him that. The manager said no way were they accepting that return, even with receipt.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

On 8/16/2014 morganjen said:
On 8/15/2014 kachina624 said: If he'd pitched a fit, I bet they would have changed their mind. Unless they had a "no returns" sign posted they're obligated to accept the return. I bought an iron there once and somebody's old iron was in the box. Walmart should check this stuff when it's returned. The onus is on them.

I wasn't there, but he did kind of pitch a fit and demanded to speak to the manager. He's not one to just let things slide (believe me!). It was both the clerk and manager that told him that. The manager said no way were they accepting that return, even with receipt.

You are going to have to write corporate. You will get your money back, however you will have to write a letter. Hope that helps.

Esteemed Contributor

Prices on printers are much better at newegg.com. There's a printer presently on sale at WM that I purchased earlier this month for $20.00 less- which was about a 30% savings.

Esteemed Contributor

There are people scamming Walmart ---- but in this situation, Walmart is scamming the customer. Do NOT let them get away with it. Put a BAD review on Yelp about this particular store. Also, go to consumeraffairs.com = fill out the complaint form. This site is very helpful. Yes - call the local newspaper. You can also post flyers in ur neighborhood - and on car windows of Walmart's parking lot to get attention. Years ago, I purchased carpet from a local carpet store as I was selling my townhome. The following day, it sold - and the buyer said that she wanted me to put money into escrow so she can purchase her own carpet. I called the carpet store and they said they would return my $500 deposit - and they didn't. I went to the store where an employee was showing carpeting to a couple - and I told the couple about my BAD experience with the owner. The next day, I received my deposit.

Valued Contributor

This happened to me with a Rowenta iron I bought back about 15 years ago. Same as you, I got home, opened the box and inside was a very old, and I'm mean older than dirt, iron. I can't remember where I bought it but it was a very reputable store and I called immediately. Whether they believed me or not, I can't say, but I can say that they never even hinted at my being dishonest...they just gave me a new iron.

If you can't resolve this issue through the store I suggest you resolve it through your credit card...hope you used one. Let them do the behind the scenes work for you and in the meantime, they'll credit back your purchase price to your account.

Good luck morganjen.

Maria

Esteemed Contributor

You can also email Walmart's Corporate Office. You need to contact someone at the ""top"". Good Luck