Respected Contributor

Beware - Received bogus iTune receipt for App purchase

[ Edited ]

Looked official, complete with transaction numbers just like an Apple receipt.  Except I did not purchase anything from iTunes today.  At the bottom was a cancellation link, which I did not click on.

I did a live Chat with Apple and there are no orders on my account. Just a sophisticated phishing scheme.  It really scared me. I can see someone being fooled by this.

The rep gave me a link to forward the email to Apple for investigation.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Beware - Received bogus iTune receipt for App purchase

I got one too.  It's disgusting to see what the criminals are coming up with to try and trick people out of their money.  Thanks for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

@ Montana@santorini, I got one as well.  Changed my p/w and forwarded to Apple.  LM

Respected Contributor

I've been getting those too.  I checked my Amex and since there were no charges, I've just deleted them.  I tried calling Apple, but they didn't seem to care about it.  Just told me to check my account and/or change my password.  Well there is really no need to change my password because no one has actually used it.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

... I tried calling Apple, but they didn't seem to care about it.  Just told me to check my account and/or change my password ...

@Isobel Archer, my experience with Live Chat was quite different. The rep checked my account himself to make sure no actual purchase was made. He even provided the link to report the phishing email. And said he was sorry for the scare I had.  Very sensitive to my feelings.

I also have a transcript of the entire conversation.

Honored Contributor

That's been going around for a long time.  I was getting one about every other month.

I keep reporting it as phishing scam ...