Respected Contributor

Audiobooks and Apple devices

This is what I found using the link supplied by Chalk:

"Audiobooks are currently a one-time only download from the store, so they won't show in the Purchased tab - I believe that they are all supplied to Apple by audible.com, so I assume that it's them that are requiring the one-time only download.

Do you have copies of them on your computer's iTunes library (they will be in the Books part of your library if you do) or on your backup of your downloads which you can use to sync them to your iPad ? If you don't have a copy of them anywhere then you can try contacting iTunes Support and see if they will grant you a re-download : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ - click on Contact iTunes Store Support on the right-hand side of the page, then Purchases, Billing & Redemption"

Super Contributor

Re: Audiobooks and Apple devices

Point of clarification:

I just purchased an audiobook from the iTunes store on my iPad and successfully transferred it to my Mac computer....should work the same in iTunes on Windows. This will work for transferring any media purchased on an iPhone, iPod or iPad. Here's how to do it:

1. Connect the Apple device to your computer --- open iTunes.

2. In iTunes, go to the File menu--->Devices---->Transfer Purchases from ***(your device)

3. After the file/s have transferred to the computer, the audiobook will appear in the iTunes Library (on left side of window) in the AudioBook section.

It is then possible to put that audiobook on multiple devices by connecting each to the computer and syncing.

Super Contributor

You may need to authorize your device in iTunes. You are allowed up to 4 devices to be authorized at one time. After you plug in your device to the computer, click on iTunes store, then click on Account in the right panel. Scroll down to the authorization section. You can add/remove devices here.

I have no problem accessing anything purchased, including books, audio books, music, or movies, on any device I own.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what the question is, since I didn't see the other thread. I have audiobooks on my apple devices that I've bought from Audible, the iTunes store and from emusic. They all work fine. The ones I've bought from audible did require me to authorize the device. The files are in my iTunes library and I have backups through Time machine on an external hard drive.

By the way, Audible is owned by Amazon.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

On 8/1/2014 Cha1k said:

Point of clarification:

I just purchased an audiobook from the iTunes store on my iPad and successfully transferred it to my Mac computer....should work the same in iTunes on Windows. This will work for transferring any media purchased on an iPhone, iPod or iPad. Here's how to do it:

1. Connect the Apple device to your computer --- open iTunes.

2. In iTunes, go to the File menu--->Devices---->Transfer Purchases from ***(your device)

3. After the file/s have transferred to the computer, the audiobook will appear in the iTunes Library (on left side of window) in the AudioBook section.

It is then possible to put that audiobook on multiple devices by connecting each to the computer and syncing.

That might work for my iPad but I want it on my MacBook Pro. BTW, all of my devices are authorized.

Super Contributor

Gail,

Sorry I misunderstood.....thought you were transferring from an iPad to a Mac. That's what I get for not reading carefully! Smile

To move an audiobook (or an entire iTunes library) between Macs on the same network:

1. Open iTunes on the Mac where the audiobook resides.

2. Go to the iTunes menu --- Preferences ---Sharing

3. Make a selection to share your entire iTunes library or just certain playlists

4. Open iTunes on the 2nd Mac and select your shared library in the column on the left of the window.

5. Your audiobook should show up in the list on the right --- if it doesn't, search your library for it......click the arrow beside the audiobook name to get a drop down menu that will let you download it to Mac #2.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Respected Contributor

Thanks. I did a copy/paste of your instructions and will try it.