Respected Contributor

Attn: PHOTOGRAPHERS! - Camera Question

[ Edited ]

Took some pics of DEER on my phone and they did NOT come out well.  The Deer were AMAZING!  My pics were not.  Woman Frustrated

I'm so disappointed. 

I have limited experience using cellphones, but I did use the Zoom feature.

Maybe I should've used a "regular" camera?

If so, can you recommend an inexpensive one that would be good for wildlife photos?

TIA .

Merry Christmas.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: PHOTOGRAPHERS! - Camera Question

[ Edited ]

The quality of your camera directly affects the quality of your pictures.  Most cell phones take decent if not quality pictures.  Perhaps it was the zoom?  Try taking some photos without it.  Experiment; it doesn't cost anything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Before you invest in a camera you need to understand what a camera and a telephoto lens can/ cannot do.  Either signup for a short course or buy a "Dummies" (photography for dummies) book.  When you've done that go to a camera store and tell a salesperson what you want it for and how much you are willing to spend (I'm thinking minimum $200 to do better than a decent phone).  There are usually good sales around Presidents Day.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina

When I watch a review of.a smartphone on YouTube, the reviews usually talks about the cameras. You should be able to find views of most smartphone cameras. 

Honored Contributor

In general, the zoom on smartphones is a digital zoom which comes with degraded image quality. A cheap solution are the clip-on  lenses that clip onto your smartphone to give you zoom, macro, or wide angle effects. They're an optical zoom so there's less degradation. They're inexpensive (under $40) and generally get very good reviews. If you poke around you can find some with 18-22 time zooms.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

A cheap solution are the clip-on  lenses that clip onto your smartphone to give you zoom, macro, or wide angle effects. 

=======================

Thanks.

Good to know.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."