Respected Contributor

Re: Are any of you using an HDTV Antenna for local channels?

That's it, Zhills--you have an older, analog TV. And the hookup to the DVR allowed you to bypass the converter box reqirement when broadcasts changed to digital about 10 years ago. We had the same setup in one room--a 40-year-old (it finally died at 44 lol) SONY with a still-beautiful picture, hooked up to a DVD player allowed us to get all our cable channels then. All I can say, is when you DO get a new TV, you're going to LOVE the free channels it allows you to pull in with your antenna!

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills

I tried three different ones and none worked. Well, unless you were wanting to watch something other than English speaking or shopping channels or othe channels I’d never heard of. Nothing recognizable or useful.

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
That's it, Zhills--you have an older, analog TV. And the hookup to the DVR allowed you to bypass the converter box reqirement when broadcasts changed to digital about 10 years ago. We had the same setup in one room--a 40-year-old (it finally died at 44 lol) SONY with a still-beautiful picture, hooked up to a DVD player allowed us to get all our cable channels then. All I can say, is when you DO get a new TV, you're going to LOVE the free channels it allows you to pull in with your antenna!

@Moonlady

Even with a new TV, the antennas did not work for me. I even tried a 50 miles one when the 30 mile one that should have worked did not. Not out in the middle of nowhere either but the large town I live in is known to have poor reception. 

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

The TV is set to antenna but I can't get it to scan.  It did once but didn't find anything???   Can't figure out how to get it to scan again. 

Maybe my remote isn't working just right?

Your suggestions are all appreciated.  Keep them coming!

This is my antenna:

NEW HDTV Antenna Indoor, 30- 50 Mile Range with Amplifier, Antenna with Detachable Signal Booster, 4.5m Cable (30- 50 Mile Currency) from Amazon

It's odd that you got your tv to scan once and can't do it again.  This is what works for me.  On the TV remote I select MENU, then scroll through the options until you find something that says Signal Type (and make sure you are on Antenna) then select Autoprogram and let it find channels.  

I reprogram constantly and often get different results.  It's rare that I get more than 3 channels clearly, and only one will be a network channel.  I have an antenna on two tv's and they are both pretty much the same (useless).  I am not really close to a major city and there are hills in the way. I have Dish on my main tv (thank goodness).  I think how successful you are with an antenna depends on where you live. 

Esteemed Contributor

The TV had been sitting idle for a couple of years and I think it just needed using.  The scan frature is working fine now.

I have decided to get a digital to analog converter to go with my antenna.  They are not costly.  This TV is in an extra bedroom that doesn't get used most of the time so I don't want a big investment!  Local channels for news and a couple to watch for fun.

Any suggestions for a brand?