Honored Contributor

Re: Are IPhones really all that, are they worth the money, etc.

@geezerette 

It all sounds so confusing right now, but I guess once we get into it, it will start to clear up --- I hope so at least!  So, do I understand you correctly when you say that if we are using the smartphone at home using the WiFI which we already have through our cable company that that this means that when we are using internet on the new phone and doing texts, etc, that we won't incur any additional fees?  I am not understanding this ---and as you can tell --- I know not one thing about how this works.  So, for instance --- I get the IPhone -- I need to get a carrier -- I call up say, Comcast (for example), since this is where we have all our other services through, and say --- how much is it monthly to add on our IPhone???  I realize I am very ignorant on these matters!!!

Yes, I know --- not being able to get out makes this all the mor challenging!  HA!  Well -- one good thing --- this will all give DH something else to keep him occupied!  

Thanks a bunch! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 

Thank you, tiny2!  

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@geezerette 

Glad you enjoy and feel happy about your smartphone!  I would never have any phone attached to my face -- it's just not me!  

I don't really understand how you get a carrier for the phone.  Do you just call one up and say --- hey, what are your rates?  Would say -- Consumer Cellular be one to call? As you can tell, I know nothing about it.  

I appreciate your post and information.  Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1 

You can research their services/rates/products on their websites.  ATT, Verizon, Consumer Cellular, Tracfone--whoever you want.  You don't have to go with a large carrier, but if you do, they normally have you on a two year  contract for their standard plans.  Also, those charge taxes just like your landline, so that adds to your bill.  Tracfone can use iPhones too, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with all of the phone models.  They usually offer only the older phones.

Don't forget that most, if not all, smartphones will connect to and use your home WiFi network, if you have one, so if you're using it at home, you won't be using any data on your cell plan.  I have a plan that is $45 a month since I don't use much data and all texts and calls are unlimited. 

It's a shame that you can't get out now and check the phones in person.

@AngelPuppy1

JMO. I would order an IPhone from the Apple website that will run on Verizon wireless. 

You can decide to buy Apple care.  You should receive the phone in about two weeks.

You can then activate the phone by calling a sales person at Verizon.

While you are waiting to receive your phone look for a data plan at Verizon. 

You should be able to buy a pre-paid or post paid phone plan without a contract. You are bringing your phone to Verizon. 

The company offers many different plans. You will have to dig around the site. 

I am assuming you have a Tracfone running on Verizon. 

@Nuttmeg 

We have tracphones whch we buy cards for periodically --- it's like $20 or so for 3 months.  So, we don't have a contract with any company.  If we do get the phone, the IPhone, I mean, we will definitely get it from the Apple website.  DH said that's the way he would want to go.  Thanks!  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, I just wanted to let you know that there are several good discounts with various stores on this phone. The best is Walmart. The phone is selling for $199 plus you have to sign up with a carrier. The 3 listed are Sprint, Verizon and ATT. You also have to do installments with the carrier but there is no penalty for early pay off. I do not know all the particulars. Some of the websites that are doing reviews have notified Walmart to get more information. This offer is valid until July 17.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@geezerette 

It all sounds so confusing right now, but I guess once we get into it, it will start to clear up --- I hope so at least!  So, do I understand you correctly when you say that if we are using the smartphone at home using the WiFI which we already have through our cable company that that this means that when we are using internet on the new phone and doing texts, etc, that we won't incur any additional fees?  I am not understanding this ---and as you can tell --- I know not one thing about how this works.  So, for instance --- I get the IPhone -- I need to get a carrier -- I call up say, Comcast (for example), since this is where we have all our other services through, and say --- how much is it monthly to add on our IPhone???  I realize I am very ignorant on these matters!!!

Yes, I know --- not being able to get out makes this all the mor challenging!  HA!  Well -- one good thing --- this will all give DH something else to keep him occupied!  

Thanks a bunch! 

@AngelPuppy1 

Yes, it is confusing, and you're right that you will catch on once you have more information.  Everything is new at first.  Frankly, I'm far from a tech wiz, and I find the setting up of phones and computers the hardest part.  I can use the internet, make phone calls, and do texts fine, once I get it all set up.  And once you do, it's done.

Yes, you are also right about your iPhone being able to use your home WiFi without any extra costs.  You will just set it up like your iPad.  It should find your home WiFi and ask if you want to connect to it.  At that point, you would enter your WiFi password (like you did for your iPad) and it should be connected to your home WiFi instead of the cell network.  Then, whenever you come within range of your home WiFi, it automatically will run on that and turn the cell connection off.  When you are out of home range (like when you take your phone away from home) it will automatically connect to the cell service again and you will then be using your cell data plan.  Magic!🙂

If you already use Tracfone, you might want to continue with them.  (I'm pretty sure Comcast does not offer cell service.)  I'm not familiar with how to use the prepaid services with a phone I already have.  I've always bought my phones from the companies whose cell service I use.  

I think that Walmart sells Tracfone, so you might be able to go there and talk to someone who could answer all your questions.  The other cell companies like ATT, Verizon,etc. also sell pay-by-month plans too.  So you could go to one of their stores and talk to them.  Also, any of these can be looked up on each company's website so you can get an idea of what each is offering and what they cost.  

The thing you do need to know is which type of service you need.  (I'm not sure what they call this exactly, so I may be calling it something it's not.☺️)  I think most Tracfones now are CDMA, which is the same type of cell service Verizon uses.  ATT uses GSM.  That determines what type of hardware your iPhone will need when you buy it and whether you get good reception.  Your husband may know about this.  

I think it's great that you're even considering tackling this.  But if you do decide to get an iPhone, I'm sure that once you get through the initial decisions and setup, you'll find it quite easy to use.  It's very much like the iPad.  👍

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 We all feel your pain. This is not any easy decision to make and don't be embarrassed about any questions you ask! I work in the technology field, have lots of experience, have had cell phones for 20+ years, and I still prefer to go to a store and have someone explain the costs to me. And help set up the phone, etc. I've never ordered a cell phone online but I can set up computers! LOL 

I just checked att.com and they have a link to "Learn how to get the powerful new iPhone SE 64GB for $5 per month." For 30 months that's a cost of $150. But you would have to pay the AT&T cell service for those months as well. Keep in mind that in order to use it as a phone, no matter where you buy the phone, you will have to pay for some kind of cellular service. You or your husband just need to do your research and then ask friends or forums all the questions you have 😁

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

I have the iPhone 11 and I don't like the size at all.  If it wasn't less than 6 months old I would opt for the new, smaller one that is coming out.

@itsmetoo 

May I ask what is it that you don't like about the size?  

I'm sorry @geezerette , I just saw your question.  The phone is wide for my hand and uncomfortable for me to hold.  I also find it heavy to hold up when I am laying down.  It's probably just me, I guess I'm a wimp!  lol  It's also big to carry in my pocket.

Trusted Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

I have the iPhone 11 and I don't like the size at all.  If it wasn't less than 6 months old I would opt for the new, smaller one that is coming out.

Apple has a trade in program with the new phone. You can always sell an IPhone and buy something else. 

@Nuttmeg 

Yes, thank you, I am aware of that but this is a phone I just got!

Honored Contributor

@KJPA 

Thank you!  You've been very helpful and informative.  I very much appreciate your time!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@geezerette 

Thanks a bunch! 

@AngelPuppy1 

Yes, it is confusing, and you're right that you will catch on once you have more information.  Everything is new at first.  Frankly, I'm far from a tech wiz, and I find the setting up of phones and computers the hardest part.  I can use the internet, make phone calls, and do texts fine, once I get it all set up.  And once you do, it's done.

Yes, you are also right about your iPhone being able to use your home WiFi without any extra costs.  You will just set it up like your iPad.  It should find your home WiFi and ask if you want to connect to it.  At that point, you would enter your WiFi password (like you did for your iPad) and it should be connected to your home WiFi instead of the cell network.  Then, whenever you come within range of your home WiFi, it automatically will run on that and turn the cell connection off.  When you are out of home range (like when you take your phone away from home) it will automatically connect to the cell service again and you will then be using your cell data plan.  Magic!🙂

If you already use Tracfone, you might want to continue with them.  (I'm pretty sure Comcast does not offer cell service.)  I'm not familiar with how to use the prepaid services with a phone I already have.  I've always bought my phones from the companies whose cell service I use.  

I think that Walmart sells Tracfone, so you might be able to go there and talk to someone who could answer all your questions.  The other cell companies like ATT, Verizon,etc. also sell pay-by-month plans too.  So you could go to one of their stores and talk to them.  Also, any of these can be looked up on each company's website so you can get an idea of what each is offering and what they cost.  

The thing you do need to know is which type of service you need.  (I'm not sure what they call this exactly, so I may be calling it something it's not.☺️)  I think most Tracfones now are CDMA, which is the same type of cell service Verizon uses.  ATT uses GSM.  That determines what type of hardware your iPhone will need when you buy it and whether you get good reception.  Your husband may know about this.  

I think it's great that you're even considering tackling this.  But if you do decide to get an iPhone, I'm sure that once you get through the initial decisions and setup, you'll find it quite easy to use.  It's very much like the iPad.  👍

@geezerette 

Thank you!  I think I actually understand about the WiFi!  Wonders never cease --- LOL!  Yes, it's a lot at first.  Thank goodness for people here who are so helpful!