Honored Contributor

Are IPhones really all that, are they worth the money, etc.

DH is saying suddenly he wants an IPhone and that we need one.  I don't know about this.  We've had simple cheap trac flip phones for years and for all that we've used them, they've served us well.  He says that soon we will have to have smart phones for everything.  This may be true, I don't know.  

I have several questions to ask and also asking some advice.

He saw where a new Iphone is coming out now for a relatively inexpensive price and thinks perhaps we should jump on this because the higher price of like $1,000 or so is just too much for us.  

He wants to stick to Apple products because he feels they are the best and we have an old desk top Mac, and an Ipad.  

Aren't there other smart phones for much cheaper that work just as well as Iphones?

Also, how do you go about getting service for them?  Is it an expensive contract you have to sign?  As you can tell, I know nothing about this stuff and am a little concerned about getting into something which will be too expensive, complicated and problematic.

Thanks for replying and for your thoughts and help.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Are IPhones really all that, are they worth the money, etc.

[ Edited ]

Apple has officially announced the new iPhone SE, a lower-cost iPhone that starts at $399 for a version with 64GB of storage. It has the same basic shape and look as the iPhone 8, which means it has a 4.7-inch screen, large bezels on the top and bottom, and a home button with Touch ID.

I'm on my second iPhone - a 6 Plus and I've had it about 6 years - and I'm thinking of getting this one.  I mainly need a new one for the storage - otherwise my current phone still works great.  Hoping it comes in a Plus version tho as I like the larger size.  

Since you already have Apple products I'd definitely stick with them and get an iPhone.

A lot of  people think that Apple products are the most user friendly.  Plus you'll be able to sync you iPhone with your other Apple devices which is very handy.

As far as service - they come with a one-year warranty.  I don't recall ever needing service on our iPhones.  My husband and grandson have them too - on my account. Hubby has the 8 which is a nice size - nice phone and GS has the 10 (of course lol.)  

Generally if you do need actual service you have to go to the Apple store but my local ATT store is always very helpful with any minor issues which are few.

I do have insurance on them so in the case of loss or damage that can't be fixed after the warranty expires they'll be replaced for a small price - much less than buying a new phone.  

Contract depends on the carrier you go with.  

Also as far as other smart phones I really have no idea as we've always had iPhones.  We had other brands in the past that weren't smart phones.

I know some people like the Samsung Galaxy phones but I don't think they're much cheaper if at all.  And they've had battery issues in the past - fires and actual explosions -  that made me be not interested in them.  At one point you couldn't take one on an airplane

Good luck!

This is a great price on an iPhone so I'd say go for it.  

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I can't give you an exact reason to why, but I never wanted an Apple phone. My husband and I both have always used Samsung phones and love them. I purchased my latest phone at Walmart and ended up paying a lot less for the same phone from my carrier, Verizon's store. It's just a personal preference and ours has been Samsung. 

I do have an Apple iPad which, for whatever reason(s), does Not play well with QVC's website, nor the forums. And it's just with QVC, no other websites. I remember reading here of another person, could've been more, who had the same issue. Unfortunately, I never went back to read the responses and can't find it now. 

Please let us know what you purchase and why.  🙂

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

He wants to stick to Apple products because he feels they are the best and we have an old desk top Mac, and an Ipad.  

That is the very reason I have an Apple, but there is more.  ALL App makers will always have Apps for Apple products.  

All the Apple products sync with each other.  I used to have a Samsung Galaxy Note and when Apple came out with the Apple 6s I jumped to buy it so my Mac and Ipads would sync.  It was so annoying to go from Samsung to Apple because the systems are totally different.  

A phone is used so much, get the one you want.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They are so popular because they are more intuitive and easier to use (I think). TODAY, a cheaper iPhone is coming out for pre-order ! Take a look- Good opportunity. I am getting one myself. My current iPhone is 4 yrs old. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

DH is saying suddenly he wants an IPhone and that we need one.  I don't know about this.  We've had simple cheap trac flip phones for years and for all that we've used them, they've served us well.  He says that soon we will have to have smart phones for everything.  This may be true, I don't know.  

I have several questions to ask and also asking some advice.

He saw where a new Iphone is coming out now for a relatively inexpensive price and thinks perhaps we should jump on this because the higher price of like $1,000 or so is just too much for us.  

Aren't there other smart phones for much cheaper that work just as well as Iphones?

Also, how do you go about getting service for them?  Is it an expensive contract you have to sign?  As you can tell, I know nothing about this stuff and am a little concerned about getting into something which will be too expensive, complicated and problematic.

Thanks for replying and for your thoughts and help.

To those of us who love theirs, they are worth every cent. To those of us who still prefer flip phones, or other brands of smart phones, iPhones are a waste. Wonderful world of choice!

Esteemed Contributor

I think it depends on how much you use your phone.  I rarely use my iPhone.  For years I had a flip phone that I didn't really use that had a very low monthly cost. I was given an iPhone 7 for my birthday a few years ago and I rarely use this one either.  While I am glad to have an updated phone, the monthly cost for service is hard for me to justify since I don't use it. We need cell phones for emergencies, but for me the costs outweigh the use.  If it hadn't been a gift, I would still have my old flip phone which is all I need. However, I do think it is true that eventually you will need a smart phone. I have an iPad that links to my phone so that is a plus and I find apple products quite user friendly .I always use my landline to make calls.  That being said, if you use your phone, I think it may be a good idea to update.

Respected Contributor

It also depends on if you plan to access the Internet from your phone.  If not then there's no point to having a smart phone.  

Honored Contributor

The  "iPhones are easier to use" myth is just that, a myth. Phones all pretty much work the same these days. A while back (over a year ago now, maybe two, three?) I was in a doctor's waiting room when an older woman came out and discovered that her iPhone battery had died. She needed to call her daughter to come and pick her up. She asked if she could use my phone. I said sure, unlocked it and handed it to her. Her eyes went wide seeing it was an Android phone and said she couldn't use it, it was too complicated.

I smiled and asked her if she saw the phone icon on the bottom left. She said yes. I said, "tap it." She did. I told her to enter her daughter's phone number. She did. I said hit the phone icon on the bottom left again to dial. She did. Her daughter answered and she finished the call. I told her how to hang up. She handed back the phone and said, "That wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be." I then showed her how the apps worked and she said, "That's just like on my iPhone!" I then told her how much I'd paid for the phone and a year's service and she had to sit down from the shock. She was paying more per month than I'd paid for the phone and a year's service.

These days a phone is a phone, a computer is a computer, and a tablet is a tablet. You point, swipe, tap, click and they all pretty much work the same. Between Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, pretty much everything syncs on everything Windows and Android these days. I'll enter an appointment in my Android Phone's calendar and it's on my computer, Fire tablets, and Chromebook also. My computer reminded me the other day that I'd told a friend I'd send him an email after reading a story he'd written. Things are almost getting too smart. 

Apple lives in their own little secluded world where no one else can get in. If you're prefer being trapped in that system, then fine. But, you don't have to be trapped in there. You have options. Lots of options. There's very little, maybe nothing, that Apple does that you can't do outside the Apple ecosystem just about as easily and in some cases more easily. 

Any photo or video I take on my phone is saved to Amazon's cloud, Microsoft's cloud, and Google's cloud. Sometimes the uploads occur so fast that if I don't like a photo and go to delete it, it's already been uploaded and saved to the clouds. That kind of a triple redundancy is pretty neat. 

If you want an Apple product, then fine. No problem. But don't think an Apple product is vastly easier to use, or better these days. It's just not true most of the time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

That is the very reason I have an Apple, but there is more.  ALL App makers will always have Apps for Apple products.  

All the Apple products sync with each other.  I used to have a Samsung Galaxy Note and when Apple came out with the Apple 6s I jumped to buy it so my Mac and Ipads would sync.  It was so annoying to go from Samsung to Apple because the systems are totally different.  

A phone is used so much, get the one you want.  

In my opinion these smart phones are a waste of money.  We got through the 50s, 60s 70s 80s and even 90s without being mezmerized by screens. I see people all the time glued to these things.  I have an emergency phone that I use when I travel. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one of these devices but they can be found for under $60 and you can get a pay as you go plan.