Honored Contributor

Re: Are IPhones really all that, are they worth the money, etc.

@tiny 2 

Good to know -- I appreciate the info!  Thank you so much!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@geezerette 

Glad you enjoy and feel happy about your smartphone!  I would never have any phone attached to my face -- it's just not me!  

I don't really understand how you get a carrier for the phone.  Do you just call one up and say --- hey, what are your rates?  Would say -- Consumer Cellular be one to call? As you can tell, I know nothing about it.  

I appreciate your post and information.  Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1 

You can research their services/rates/products on their websites.  ATT, Verizon, Consumer Cellular, Tracfone--whoever you want.  You don't have to go with a large carrier, but if you do, they normally have you on a two year  contract for their standard plans.  Also, those charge taxes just like your landline, so that adds to your bill.  Tracfone can use iPhones too, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with all of the phone models.  They usually offer only the older phones.

Don't forget that most, if not all, smartphones will connect to and use your home WiFi network, if you have one, so if you're using it at home, you won't be using any data on your cell plan.  I have a plan that is $45 a month since I don't use much data and all texts and calls are unlimited. 

It's a shame that you can't get out now and check the phones in person.

@AngelPuppy1

JMO. I would order an IPhone from the Apple website that will run on Verizon wireless. 

You can decide to buy Apple care.  You should receive the phone in about two weeks.

You can then activate the phone by calling a sales person at Verizon.

While you are waiting to receive your phone look for a data plan at Verizon. 

You should be able to buy a pre-paid or post paid phone plan without a contract. You are bringing your phone to Verizon. 

The company offers many different plans. You will have to dig around the site. 

I am assuming you have a Tracfone running on Verizon. 

@Nuttmeg 

We have tracphones whch we buy cards for periodically --- it's like $20 or so for 3 months.  So, we don't have a contract with any company.  If we do get the phone, the IPhone, I mean, we will definitely get it from the Apple website.  DH said that's the way he would want to go.  Thanks!  

@AngelPuppy1

I want to give you more information about Verizon Pre-Paid data plans. A cell phone needs a data plan to be activated, and I suggest a 3GB month to month plan for $35.

Please ask the sales person at Verizon to waive the activation fee. 

You will receive unlimited phone calls, unlimited text messaging, and 3GB of data for a month. You would use your data plan to receive emails on the phone, and text messages, and you can stream music.

LOL, you can not stream YouTube videos on this data plan or update your apps. This data plan is not large enough. You use Wi-Fi like with your tablet.

I had a 2GB  data plan with my last smartphone. You can make a plan work. Today, I have a  data plan large enough to download apps with my current phone. 

Verizon has information on the lower front page about data plans under a brochure link.

PS. The iPhone SE is the same size as the IPhone 8. Will the two phones share the same phone case?

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@geezerette 

Glad you enjoy and feel happy about your smartphone!  I would never have any phone attached to my face -- it's just not me!  

I don't really understand how you get a carrier for the phone.  Do you just call one up and say --- hey, what are your rates?  Would say -- Consumer Cellular be one to call? As you can tell, I know nothing about it.  

I appreciate your post and information.  Thank you! 

@AngelPuppy1 

You can research their services/rates/products on their websites.  ATT, Verizon, Consumer Cellular, Tracfone--whoever you want.  You don't have to go with a large carrier, but if you do, they normally have you on a two year  contract for their standard plans.  Also, those charge taxes just like your landline, so that adds to your bill.  Tracfone can use iPhones too, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with all of the phone models.  They usually offer only the older phones.

Don't forget that most, if not all, smartphones will connect to and use your home WiFi network, if you have one, so if you're using it at home, you won't be using any data on your cell plan.  I have a plan that is $45 a month since I don't use much data and all texts and calls are unlimited. 

It's a shame that you can't get out now and check the phones in person.

@AngelPuppy1

JMO. I would order an IPhone from the Apple website that will run on Verizon wireless. 

You can decide to buy Apple care.  You should receive the phone in about two weeks.

You can then activate the phone by calling a sales person at Verizon.

While you are waiting to receive your phone look for a data plan at Verizon. 

You should be able to buy a pre-paid or post paid phone plan without a contract. You are bringing your phone to Verizon. 

The company offers many different plans. You will have to dig around the site. 

I am assuming you have a Tracfone running on Verizon. 

@Nuttmeg 

We have tracphones whch we buy cards for periodically --- it's like $20 or so for 3 months.  So, we don't have a contract with any company.  If we do get the phone, the IPhone, I mean, we will definitely get it from the Apple website.  DH said that's the way he would want to go.  Thanks!  

@AngelPuppy1

I want to give you more information about Verizon Pre-Paid data plans. A cell phone needs a data plan to be activated, and I suggest a 3GB month to month plan for $35.

Please ask the sales person at Verizon to waive the activation fee. 

You will receive unlimited phone calls, unlimited text messaging, and 3GB of data for a month. You would use your data plan to receive emails on the phone, and text messages, and you can stream music.

LOL, you can not stream YouTube videos on this data plan or update your apps. This data plan is not large enough. You use Wi-Fi like with your tablet.

I had a 2GB  data plan with my last smartphone. You can make a plan work. Today, I have a  data plan large enough to download apps with my current phone. 

Verizon has information on the lower front page about data plans under a brochure link.

PS. The iPhone SE is the same size as the IPhone 8. Will the two phones same the same phone case?

@Nuttmeg 

Thanks so much for all of this information.  It really helps.  I will look into this, too! 

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

I have the iPhone 11 and I don't like the size at all.  If it wasn't less than 6 months old I would opt for the new, smaller one that is coming out.

@itsmetoo 

May I ask what is it that you don't like about the size?  

I'm sorry @geezerette , I just saw your question.  The phone is wide for my hand and uncomfortable for me to hold.  I also find it heavy to hold up when I am laying down.  It's probably just me, I guess I'm a wimp!  lol  It's also big to carry in my pocket.

@itsmetoo 

No problem!  I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to reply.

I also have a larger, but older, phone and I find much the same thing.  I like being able to see it better than the smaller phones, but when actually using it as a phone or taking it with me, it's inconvenient.  My situation has changed since I first got the phone, so I'm thinking my next phone needs to change too.

Thanks, again! 👍

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette  I have been getting CNET cheapskate deals  on my Google page. There are promotions for the IPhone SE. 

Samsung is offering a new A 51 series phone on April 24th. It's new phone is being sold by Verizon and Sprint. 

Honored Contributor

Good morning to all who replied and were so gracious and kind as to give advice, comments and help --

DH and I discussed and he did order the new Iphone from the Apple company on line so it should be here in a week or so!  Very exciting but scary --- for me, at least!

We have not come to a decision about what to do about a plan or anything yet.  

I will let you all know how it goes after we get it, DH starts figuring it out and we get some kind of plan or carrier, etc. for it!

Thanks again - I appreciate all your wonderful posts and support! 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Good morning to all who replied and were so gracious and kind as to give advice, comments and help --

DH and I discussed and he did order the new Iphone from the Apple company on line so it should be here in a week or so!  Very exciting but scary --- for me, at least!

I will let you all know how it goes after we get it, DH starts figuring it out and we get some kind of plan or carrier, etc. for it!

These phones are manufactured in China by the way ....  by people, mainly women who are not paid a living wage and are mandated to accrue massive overtime. I remember reading about military style sweatshops. Toxic chemicals and use of rare earth minerals to manufacture these phones.   The price tag borders on the ludicrous. The profit margins are absurd and I will not fall for it despite the fad.  Buyer beware.

Regular Contributor

I just got the new iPhone11 and so far I love it. I have an apple desktop and love it so I figured I needed to have everything the same brand. It is so easy now to transfer pics from the phone to the computer. Before I had to d/l to a thumb drive and then upload to the comp. I had a Samsung S7 so I could not sync with the desktop. I like Samsung and have used them for years even their tv's but it seems like lately they just were lacking in holding up to my expectations. I always have kept mine in cases so they look brand new and will most likely sell it for maybe $50. 

The iPhone has so many more features than the Samsung BUT Samsung has really up their game with their latest phone and it's higher than the iPhone I got. I like being able to d/l apps not only by apple but any apps they have - before apple would not let me d/l to the Samsung. I also like Siri - I can ask her to call my daughter and if my hands are busy this helps a lot. Of course, we all have certain features we like - apple is not better than Samsung or LG. Each has features that appeal to many.

I'm sure the next one will be a flip or a jitterbug!! I'm 71 and its time I laid down the top tech gadgets. Woman Tongue

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.
Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

These phones are manufactured in China by the way ....  by people, mainly women who are not paid a living wage and are mandated to accrue massive overtime. I remember reading about military style sweatshops. Toxic chemicals and use of rare earth minerals to manufacture these phones.   The price tag borders on the ludicrous. The profit margins are absurd and I will not fall for it despite the fad.  Buyer beware.

This is true of the Tracfones and people buy a new one every year!!!    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever

Have you had a tele-medicine visit with your doctor yet? Medicare( CMS) approved this type of visit in March. 

You do need a smartphone to video conference with your doctor. The phone has to receive a text message. You use the message to check the link and your phone.

I do hope you have the right technology to move forward after this pandemic. There will be challenges and changes.