Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are IPhones really all that, are they worth the money, etc.

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1

The new iPhone is a nice device, but the display is too small for older eyes. I would recommend you the iPhone 11 or 11 Pro Max. 

I have a  Samsung Note 10+. This phone is 3 inches wide, 6.2 inches tall, and has a very bright display. I don't have a problem reading text.

The iPhone 11 is 2.9 inches wide and about 5.8 inches tall. This phone will have a bright display, an excellent camera, and reading text should not be a problem.

This  phone is the same size as my old Note 5. I just needed an upgrade after 4 years. 

Apple provides systems updates longer than Samsung, but Samsung allows consumers the freedom to customize their phones. 

I brought my phone from Verizon with a customer upgrade discount. 

The phone belongs to me when I finish paying. VZW offers different promotions for people changing providers.

Please look at YouTube videos and read review before buying your phone. 

Enjoy whatever phone you buy. 

Honored Contributor

Apple iPhones are definitely worth the money; however, they do have varying price levels if you don't need to have the top of the line phone.

I am a big Apple fan. I have an Apple Mac (desktop computer), I have two Apple iPads, and my Apple phone.

I have a relative who has a Samsung and swears it is as good as an Apple; however, he recently said he wants to get an Apple iPad. When I asked why he didn't just want to get a similar one for less money from another company, he said Apple seems to have more capabilities than other tablets.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

From what you write in your post, I think your first--and main--decision is whether or not you want or need a smartphone.  Whatever the brand.

A few years ago I was in a similar situation to yours.  We had one flip phone for emergencies and a computer.  It was time for a new computer, but I wondered if I really needed a full-blown computer for what I used it for.  I was weighing an iPhone and iPad, but I questioned the need for a smartphone at all since we rarely used a cell phone.  My husband was the one that pushed me to get a smartphone, saying that I needed to learn how to use one since it would be even more ubiquitous in the future.  (He never used a computer or even the flip phone.)

Skip to the present day, and I'm so glad I did what he wanted and got a smartphone.  I'm alone now and I text my close friends daily.  It's my main way to keep in touch with them, or if I need them in an emergency (which has happened a few times).  I didn't think I'd use the "smart" part of it much, but now that I have it, I often will pick it up for a quick browse of the internet or my email when I don't want to drag out the iPad.  While I still don't have it attached to my hip constantly like many people do, I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

Brand decision is your own preference.  Since you already have Apple products, an iPhone would sync with those, which is convenient.  The iPhone is very similar to the iPad as far as using it.  And if your husband wants one, he would be happy.😉

As far as contracts go, that depends on which carrier you choose.  You can get iPhones compatible with Tracphone if you want.  And service?  I can't tell you about that.  I've never needed service for mine, but then my devices don't get abused.

@FranandZoe 

Thank you so much for that info about the new SE!😘  I've been thinking about getting a new phone, but don't need a fancy one like the 11.  And I sure don't want to pay that much for one, either!  The SE looks like something I would be very interested in.  I'll keep an eye out for more details when it becomes available.  Thanks again.👍

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette

The new iPhone SE will be great technology, but the display is small. It will be easier to read text on the iPhone 11.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

DH is saying suddenly he wants an IPhone and that we need one.  I don't know about this.  We've had simple cheap trac flip phones for years and for all that we've used them, they've served us well.  He says that soon we will have to have smart phones for everything.  This may be true, I don't know.  

I have several questions to ask and also asking some advice.

He saw where a new Iphone is coming out now for a relatively inexpensive price and thinks perhaps we should jump on this because the higher price of like $1,000 or so is just too much for us.  

He wants to stick to Apple products because he feels they are the best and we have an old desk top Mac, and an Ipad.  

Aren't there other smart phones for much cheaper that work just as well as Iphones?

Also, how do you go about getting service for them?  Is it an expensive contract you have to sign?  As you can tell, I know nothing about this stuff and am a little concerned about getting into something which will be too expensive, complicated and problematic.

Thanks for replying and for your thoughts and help.

I have an Apple phone now since the Iphone 4.  An issue I have is that when the new phone comes out, you always have to upgrade...well sooner or later you do because Apple would stop supporting the older phones.  I believe they got into trouble for that.  What we've done when it comes to upgrading our phones, especially since we have a teenage daughter, is watch the TV ads.  We changed from Verison to Sprint so we can upgrade our phones (me and husband) and gave daughter an old phone.  It was a deal buy one new Iphone and get one free.  We stuck with Sprint until contract ran out and then switched back to Verison when they had a similar buy one get one free, then me and my husband got upgraded new phones again and daughter got one of our old ones again.  The cost of the phone purchased was put into monthly fee.  We really didn't like the coverage Sprint had, that's another reason we switched.  As others have mentioned, there is supposed to be a new Iphone coming out at a smaller price.  I'm assuming a basic model to an all bells and whistles model?  I do think the release of that may be delayed because of the pandemic.  There is a lot you can do with a phone, not just Apple, but Samsung too.  I'm not tech savvy at all and keep to the basics.  Email, google maps, Kroger App for store coupons.  But I know of people who do payments over the phone, their banking and much much more.  My daughter is much better with the Iphone than I am.  But that's her generation and what they've grown up with.  Watch the TV ads for specials like a buy one get one free.  Do some research, go to carrier websites like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.  I would say it runs about $35-$45 a month for the phone carrier alone.  That does not include (sometimes) taxes and fees...that really gets you.  Plus, if you do the BOGO, you can carry the cost of the other phone in your monthly payments.  You can always give it a try, contracts usually last about 2 years.  Good lcuk.
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@geezerette

The new iPhone SE will be great technology, but the display is small. It will be easier to read text on the iPhone 11.

@Nuttmeg 

I'm sure it would.  But I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money for a new cell phone.  And I just don't need all those bells and whistles either.

I've tried my friend's old 5, and while you're right, the display is smaller, it's still doable for me.

Trusted Contributor

I have the iPhone 11 and I don't like the size at all.  If it wasn't less than 6 months old I would opt for the new, smaller one that is coming out.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

I have the iPhone 11 and I don't like the size at all.  If it wasn't less than 6 months old I would opt for the new, smaller one that is coming out.

@itsmetoo 

May I ask what is it that you don't like about the size?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

All that? Not to me. I believe for many that own them there are a lot of things about them that fit their needs. I personally know others who bought them because of other reasons that have nothing to do with function, some even as just some sort of status symbol. "Hey, I got an "iphone".

i don't use a cell phone for anything other than what telephones were originally intended. The only person that has even seen my cellphone is my wife. Mine is a Tracfone, which, while writing this, am not even sure of the brand, that's how long it's been since I have even seen it. I know it is either an LG or a Samsung, that's about it.

Maybe some day when HSN has a Tracfone "iPhone" for $69" with the same expiration/text/data features, I'll give it a shot. Chances of that to me are Slim to None. Until then, Android is what I want and will use.

hckynut🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I DO think the Apple devices are more intuitive to use (not necessarily easier) , but yes, more intuitive. One can pretty much figure out how to do something, using logic and basic understanding of the home icons.

Also a couple other benefits... 1) they keep the models updated for a longer time period than Samsung models and 2) they keep the security updates going longer too. 

No, smart phones are totally not a necessity of life, but if you can afford it, they are useful and fun and entertaining!