Trusted Contributor

Re: Apple problems, some resolved.

On 11/26/2014 Lynnj said:
On 11/26/2014 KJPA said:

I have a Generation 4 (the first iPad with Retina display) and have been extremely happy with it. This week I finally upgraded to iOS 8, which happened to be iOS 8.1.1. Safari has been very slow ever since. I don't know enough about Apple products to figure out what went wrong. I have a new iPhone 6+ that wants to update to 8.1.1 but since I already hate the software on this phone I haven't even tried to update to it. It's currently running 8.1. The browser speed seems normal on it right now.

Does anyone know WHY 8.1.1 is affecting browser speeds? Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm pretty new to Apple products. BTW, I will probably get my husband an iPad for Christmas since I still think they are the best tablets but it will probably be the only Apple product I buy going forward. Not happy with the so-called "easy to use" aspect. I think it's what you get used to and I think my Android phones were easier to use.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

You may be experiencing slowness with Safari because after you do the upgrade Spotlight needs to re-index everything. This process happens in the background, and obviously uses the processor, so you using your iPad and any apps like Safari competes with the total processor available with what it's doing with re-indexing. I did the update to 8.1.1 on my iPad 4 and iPhone 5 and see an improvement. Updates are important to do because not only do they include fixes, or sometimes new features, they also include security items. If I were you, I'd consider doing the update. You already did the upgrade to iOS8, so at this point you have nothing to lose.

LynnJ - Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure you are right because it's working just fine now and I didn't make any other changes yet. I didn't even see this post until this morning but it was fine all weekend. I will upgrade this week but managing expectations is a big part of software rollouts. As long as we know what to expect we can usually deal with it.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

KJPA
Super Contributor

Re: Apple problems, some resolved.

On 12/1/2014 KJPA said:
On 11/26/2014 Lynnj said:
On 11/26/2014 KJPA said:

I have a Generation 4 (the first iPad with Retina display) and have been extremely happy with it. This week I finally upgraded to iOS 8, which happened to be iOS 8.1.1. Safari has been very slow ever since. I don't know enough about Apple products to figure out what went wrong. I have a new iPhone 6+ that wants to update to 8.1.1 but since I already hate the software on this phone I haven't even tried to update to it. It's currently running 8.1. The browser speed seems normal on it right now.

Does anyone know WHY 8.1.1 is affecting browser speeds? Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm pretty new to Apple products. BTW, I will probably get my husband an iPad for Christmas since I still think they are the best tablets but it will probably be the only Apple product I buy going forward. Not happy with the so-called "easy to use" aspect. I think it's what you get used to and I think my Android phones were easier to use.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

You may be experiencing slowness with Safari because after you do the upgrade Spotlight needs to re-index everything. This process happens in the background, and obviously uses the processor, so you using your iPad and any apps like Safari competes with the total processor available with what it's doing with re-indexing. I did the update to 8.1.1 on my iPad 4 and iPhone 5 and see an improvement. Updates are important to do because not only do they include fixes, or sometimes new features, they also include security items. If I were you, I'd consider doing the update. You already did the upgrade to iOS8, so at this point you have nothing to lose.

LynnJ - Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure you are right because it's working just fine now and I didn't make any other changes yet. I didn't even see this post until this morning but it was fine all weekend. I will upgrade this week but managing expectations is a big part of software rollouts. As long as we know what to expect we can usually deal with it.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Good, glad all is working better for now. Let us know how it goes once you do the updates. Again, it will need to do the re-indexing, so give it a few days before your honestly assess. I agree with you in managing expectations with the upgrades and updates. Apple has really let us down with these over the last few years. The iOS8 had a lot of problems, some major, and makimg devices not usable. It's hard to regain trust that the upgrade or update will work as stated when you've been burned by doing them I the past. I've learned my lesson and don't immediately do the update on the day it's made available. I wait, read comments from users who did on several source websites, then when I feel it's all clear I do the update.