Honored Contributor

Re: Apple issues warning for millions of iPhone and iPad users

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am sorry but I do not understand the Press Release, what keyboard? Some one else can tap into your phone with a random keyvoard

here can I get more info

This will only affect you if you have installed any keyboard other than the one that comes with your device. As examples, on my old phone I had an app that had emojis with an emoji keyboard. I also used to have a scientific app with a scientific keyboard with symbols used in physics. I no longer have any keyboard other than those that come with my iPad. I have not even updated to ios13 yet. It isn’t available for me yet on my iPad.

I think some with separate physical keyboards could be affected. I will be checking into this later.

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

If you don’t use a third-party keyboard, you are safe.

You got it!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D   When I updated my IPhone & IPAD it added emoji stickers to my keyboard automatically. Am I still okay?

The emoji's are on the keyboard section that has all the other emojis.If that makes sense.Both were installed by Apple.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Mindy D   When I updated my IPhone & IPAD it added emoji stickers to my keyboard automatically. Am I still okay?

The emoji's are on the keyboard section that has all the other emojis.If that makes sense.Both were installed by Apple.

@NicksmomESQ 

This is what I'd like to know also.  I just got a new iPad with the new ios13.1 installed.  I had enabled the "emoji" keyboard available through the keyboard setting drop down menu on my previous iPad, so it automatically installed on this new iPad too.  

Are any of those keyboard options available within the Apple settings menu affected? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure.  I disabled the emoji keyboard for right now though, just to be safe.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette How do you disable the emoji keyboard?

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@geezerette  Howdo you disable the emoji keyboard?

@NicksmomESQ 

Go to "Settings">"General">"Keyboard".

"Keyboards" should be at the top of the page, with the number you have installed ("1" or"2", etc.)  I had "English" and "Emoji".

Click "edit" in the top right corner.  That gives you the option to swipe delete the emoji keyboard.

So no more smiley faces for now!Man Sad

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@geezerette  Howdo you disable the emoji keyboard?

@NicksmomESQ 

Go to "Settings">"General">"Keyboard".

"Keyboards" should be at the top of the page, with the number you have installed ("1" or"2", etc.)  I had "English" and "Emoji".

Click "edit" in the top right corner.  That gives you the option to swipe delete the emoji keyboard.

So no more smiley faces for now!Man Sad

If the emoji keyboard is FROM APPLE, it’s not a third party keyboard. If it’s from some ther source then you need to delete. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette    I just called my tech guy who takes care of all my problems on my desktop & DH laptop. He said that as long as we are using the Apple keyboards that have come with our devices we are fine.So you can go ahead & reactivate your Apple factory installed emoji keyboard.

The problem lies strictly with 3rd party keyboards that aren't Apple installed.

@Mindy D  Thank you

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

Thanks!  You're a doll! 😘  

That's what I thought, but I wasn't completely sure.  I'd rather be safe than sorry. 👍

Respected Contributor

I have an iPhone.  I just did the install for iOS 13.1.  I don't know what the heck a "3rd Party Keyboard App" is or why I would install one.  The only "keyboard" I have is the one on the phone.

So be it.  Hope they issue the fix soon.