Honored Contributor

Apple issues warning for millions of iPhone and iPad users

[ Edited ]

“In an official security post, Apple confirms that both iOS 13.1 and its new ipad OS 13.1 have a flaw which enables third-party keyboards to attain “full access” to your iPhones and iPads “even if you haven’t approved this access”. Ouch. 

Apple states that the problem doesn’t affect its official iOS keyboard, but does admit that the exploit is public and it has yet to find a fix. The company does promise that “an upcoming software update will fix an issue” but it gave no details of when this update will arrive. As such, you can expect malicious iOS keyboards to try and make the most out of this while they still can.  

Because the official iOS keyboard was so limited (untiol iOS 13) , third party keyboards have been very popular. So if you’d like to see which, if any, third party keyboards you have installed on your iPhones and iPads go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards. If in doubt, uninstall them until Apple’s fix arrives. “

From Apple

“About an issue that impacts third-party keyboard apps in iOS 13 and iPadOS An upcoming software update will fix an issue that impacts third-party keyboard apps. This issue applies only if you've installed third-party keyboards on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Third-party keyboard extensions in iOS can be designed to run entirely standalone, without access to external services, or they can request “full access” to provide additional features through network access. Apple has discovered a bug in iOS 13 and iPadOS that can result in keyboard extensions being granted full access even if you haven't approved this access.

This issue does not impact Apple’s built-in keyboards. It also doesn't impact third-party keyboards that don't make use of full access. The issue will be fixed soon in an upcoming software update.

See your third-party keyboard apps

You can see the installed third-party keyboard apps that could be impacted by this issue:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Go to General > Keyboard > Keyboards.”
Respected Contributor

Re: Apple issues warning for millions of iPhone and iPad users

Wow...don't have this update on my phone but can't imagine Apple issuing a warning and not immediately having a fix to the problem. Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  I'm confused. I have an iPhone 7 & an iPad which I just updated. I'm using the QWERTY keyboard that came with the devices.Am I ok?

Honored Contributor

@Mindy DI'm lost -   are we talking updates on the newest phones and pads or all Apple phones and pads?

Honored Contributor

I am sorry but I do not understand the Press Release, what keyboard? Some one else can tap into your phone with a random keyvoard

here can I get more info

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you don’t use a third-party keyboard, you are safe.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Mindy D  I'm confused. I have an iPhone 7 & an iPad which I just updated. I'm using the QWERTY keyboard that came with the devices.Am I ok?

Yes you're fine @NicksmomESQ .  I read about this, too.  Some people felt that the iPhone keyboard was limited and installed a third party keyboard.  It's only the third party keyboards that were affected.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Yes. You are fine. 

You can check in your settings to be sure you never added in any additional keyboards. Sometimes people add in emoji keyboards or other app keyboards they forget about. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Mindy DI'm lost -   are we talking updates on the newest phones and pads or all Apple phones and pads?

All iPhones and iPads that have updated to the brand new iOS 13 and iOS 13.1. Most iPads have not received this update yet, but iphones were able to update in the last two weeks. To see what iOS you have go to Settings>About>Software Version. The Software Version listed is your current iOS. If it doesn’t say iOS 13 or iOS 13.1, you have not updated yet and you don’t need to worry.