Apple Watch 3, SS or Aluminum?

Please compare.  Which is best?

Did you opt for cellular or not?

I am going to the Apple Store today to have a look.  TIA.  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Apple Watch 3, SS or Aluminum?

I have the Al

I think it's Series 1, but might be 2

I don't think you need the cellular, as you need to pay extra for that per month and you will probably have your phone with you anyway.

mine looks fine after 2 years, and you will love it 

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear, I saw the watches today.  My cell carrier doesn’t offer services with the watch.  Only two major providers do.  Th cost to add the cellular with one major provider is double the current cost of my iPhone bill. I am in Canada.  Our cell bills are quite a bit higher than yours.  It will come down eventually. 

Still mulling this v. Garmin.  Still mulling Apple.  LM

Honored Contributor

I'm very happy I went with stainless black. It's a shiny black verses the brushed shade that all the aluminum cases are. I also have the Watch 3 in fact I waited for them to come out with a celluar watch before I purchased even though I'm usually an early adopter ( I bought the very first ipad for example). 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom, thanks for the reply.  The SS is $300 plus tax ($345) more than the aluminum.  I don’t understand why there is such a difference in price for SS.  Did you go for 38 mm or 42?

The Apple rep I talked to didn’t think it was worth the extra money and she liked the 38 for my wrist size instead of 42mm because my wrist is small.  I to,d her I went for the plus version of the iPhones because I am in my 60’s and, while Indon’t wear prescription glasses, my reading sight is not what it used to be.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom I originally wanted the 38 and also thought it looked better on my wrist when I tried them on. But I ended up getting the 42 and I'm really happy with it. I don't think it's too big or anything. Yes, here the aluminum is 399 and the Stainless is 599 both with the same sport band, for comparison. I just don't like the brushed texture of the aluminum myself. I wanted the reflective black of the black stainless. It's also more stratch resisitant and has a stronger glass. I've banged it quite a few times as I wear it all day every day and it's still in perfect condition. I also wear glasses due to astigmatism so I hear you on being able to see the screen. I also have the + verison of the phone. Although I never had issues with my first iphone that was small. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

I have the original series 0 in SS. I love it.  For me is it is worth the extra money. I love the feel and the SS is a lot harder to scratch. The screen is also different. Much more scratch resistant. I have never had a screen protector or a protective case.  I have already decided when I do buy another one ( and I will, I love my  watch) I will buy another SS. I know it’s a matter of personal preference but I wear and use my watch EVERY day. I love the look and performance of the SS 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mdmc, thank you for pointing that out about scratches.  Good point!  LM

PS, did you get cellular/LTE.  Will you?  It costs double my current monthly plan so I am pondering that.  Only two carriers in my Province have plans for cellular.

Valued Contributor

I waited until the cellular version came out and went with a gold 38mm Aluminum model and a black band. I have no problem with this size or with scratching. Only $10 a month to add monthly cellular coverage with my carrier. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ilovetea, thanks for the feedback.  Do you use a screen protector? Seems like that would be a problem if you use it swimming which I definitely would be.

I would opt for cellular but not at twice my current bill.  LM