Honored Contributor

Apple Mac Experts - Advice requested

I have a year old desktop Apple Mac computer which I love!  Bear with me as I don't know computer jargon.  I use Safari and don't use Chrome.  I use google gmail.  Yesterday I started having issues with the gmail.  I was trying to compose a response to a friend's e-mail I had recevied and it kept throwing me out of the gmail.  Back to the main computer screen - not the gmail screen.  I would then have to sign back into my gmail using my name and password.  This happened 3-4 times.  Today, it did the same thing.  Any ideas what could be causing this?  I have never had any problems concering gmail before.  Thanks.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Apple Mac Experts - Advice requested

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have a year old desktop Apple Mac computer which I love!  Bear with me as I don't know computer jargon.  I use Safari and don't use Chrome.  I use google gmail.  Yesterday I started having issues with the gmail.  I was trying to compose a response to a friend's e-mail I had recevied and it kept throwing me out of the gmail.  Back to the main computer screen - not the gmail screen.  I would then have to sign back into my gmail using my name and password.  This happened 3-4 times.  Today, it did the same thing.  Any ideas what could be causing this?  I have never had any problems concering gmail before.  Thanks.   

I spent 20 years representing business units for IT projects at a large corporation but I'm not a techie. Others may have more info.

One thing I did learn was that many companies don't program for Safari or wait until their programs are done on Windows/google to even look to see if it works with Safari. 

I downloaded Chrome and it's an icon in my dock in case I need it for the gmail/retiree website. It's easy to use though I only use it if necessary. This is a lot easier than spending hours trying to find another solution.

Respected Contributor

When I need to know something, I google it.  You might try that.  That being said, I have a Macbook Pro and use two browsers all the time for different things--Safari and Firefox.  I also have Chrome in my dock.  I use it for odds and ends including Gmail.  Yahoo is my primary email account site, and I have it bookmarked on Safari and Firefox.  I find that when a website is acting up on one browser (mainly Safari for the reason the previous poster mentioned), I can switch to one of the other browsers, and it will work just fine.

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, are you using Apple's mail app or Gmail's app? I have 3 different email addresses and I use Apple's mail app for all three, 2 Yahoo and 1 gmail, with no problems. They work fine on my iPad, MacBook Air, and my phone. I don't use the individual apps for Yahoo or Gmail but I know others that do. I would assume that by using the app, Safari doesn't have anything to do with them. But, I don't know that much, too technical for me. 

Honored Contributor

I use Safari for most things, except for QVC.  I do better with Firefox for QVC.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

Mac user.  Not an expert but I consider myself Mac OS knowledgable.

Before I suggest possible troubleshooting suggestions, I need to know the following.......

Which OS version are you using? 

Which version iMac do you have?

If you do not know go to >About This Mac.  The next window will show your OS & version.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at Sun, Jun 26, 2022-9.35.05 AM.png

I left off my serial # & everything else below it.  If you need to upgrade or update Safari, click on Software Update which is on the bottom right corner of window.

Are you using the latest Safari version?

"it kept throwing me out of the gmail."

Exactly when does that happen? 

I know you stated as you are composing.  Are you typing when you are kicked off of Gmail? 

Hitting the Send button?

Need details please.

By "main computer screen," do you mean your desktop?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

I have heard the word Chrome but don't know what it is or how to apply it or use it --- see, I told you I am computer challenged!  

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg 

I have only used Safari and the google mail, so that's all I am familiar with.  I did try and google what I am talking about and I was lost.  It was talking about all these settings and I thought -- no, I am not going to try and find stuff and change things and then really mess stuff up!  Thanks for your suggestions.

Honored Contributor

@Toot1920 

You're way ahead of me and you lost me!  All I know is I go into safari and then go into gmail on the browser line -- at least I think that's what you call it, and that's how I get my e-mail.  All the other things you are talking about --- using Apple mail app or Gmail app --- I have no clue????  

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Well, here is what I know.  It's a Mac 2021 model.  It is up to date as I check the status every day and do updates if necessary.  It is Montery 12.4 right now.  

When I say - it throws me out -- it is when I am typing a reply to an existing e-mail from someone - and this is someone who I e-mail constantly and never had any issues with before.  In the middle of typing --- the e-mail will just throw me out and I will be at my desk top.  I will then have to go back into gmail and sign back in to my gmail account.  And in answer to your other question ---No, it doesn't happen when I hit Send, as I don't get that far.  

I got rid of all my existing e-mails.  Today, I sent this person a totally new, clean e-mail and had no problems.  So, perhaps, it was something in this person's e-mail????  

Any how, that's all I know.  I haven't so far had any issues with anything else pertaining to gmail.  And not having issues so far today.

Thanks!