Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a soundbar on their TV?

My TV is connected to a home theater system so the sound is 360 degrees around the room. I also have a large subwoofer that can cause earthquakes and shatter windows Smiley LOL, so I usually have to keep that one turned down.

Honored Contributor

We have one, 'Polk' is the brand name.  It does make a difference, but does nothing for commercials.

Esteemed Contributor

We had to get one for our Visio (known for its inadequate sound).  After reading the reviews we bought a Panasonic from Amazon;  makes a tremendous difference.

Valued Contributor

I have a Sonos sound bar. I don't notice differences in volumes of the commericals on tv. I like the Sonos because it was easy to set up and it comes with Alexa enabled. 

Honored Contributor

I have a brand new Bose to replace the one I had for at least six years.  I can’t listen to TV sound anymore, I am completely spoiled. The sound is so much clearer.  And so easy to install . . . One wire into the TV and one wire into the sound bar.  That’s it!

Mine also seems to dull loud commercials.  Expensive but worth it if you watch TV a lot.  I bought it directly from Bose.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I had an older Bose  sound  bar, loved it, but upgraded my Sony TV to a larger Samsung  and Apple TV, and found it sould no longer work! So, upstairs it went to my  bedroom TV, and I got an all new Bose sound bar for downstairs..

I couldnt be happier- I dont think i can listen to regular TV "sound" anymore! LOL!

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

I had an older Bose  sound  bar, loved it, but upgraded my Sony TV to a larger Samsung  and Apple TV, and found it sould no longer work! So, upstairs it went to my  bedroom TV, and I got an all new Bose sound bar for downstairs..

I couldnt be happier- I dont think i can listen to regular TV "sound" anymore! LOL!

I faced the same problem and bought a convertor so I could still use my older Bose system.  It was $35 which is a lot better than what a new Bose system costs. 

Honored Contributor

We bought a Polk system from the DISH installer.  It worked well for six months then heard a crack and it died.  Their C.S. is the WORST I have ever dealt with, problem is not resolved.  I'd never buy another Polk.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

I faced the same problem and bought a convertor so I could still use my older Bose system.  It was $35 which is a lot better than what a new Bose system costs. 

Yeah, I know... it was kind of crazy the way it all happened- My son was visiting from out of state, and really thought I should have  Apple TV- I  never really cared about it, but he convinced me.. I had a perfectly good Sony TV and Bose Soundbar.. well, we took the Apple TV home and couldnt get it to work, we (he) decided it was because my Sony was too old (9 years!) so, out we  went again and bought a new Samsung TV 4G blah blah... 10" bigger than the Sony..hooked everything up, BOOM! no sound coming through to my Bose!... took the Bose to the upstairs TV (newer Vizio)  to see if it would work with THAT, and yes, without the Apple TV it worked fine on my bedroom LG..

SOOOOO..out we went again, to get another Bose, a newer one, that would be compatible..EUREKA! many hours and  $1000's  later.. it all worked - Ironically, I probaby could have kept my Sony, which i ended up  giving away, (well I donated it to a Senior Center) because all I REALLY needed was a new Bose!!

Do these htings EVER go smoothly? LOL!

Honored Contributor

@PickyCindy wrote:

Yes, indeed I have a soundbar on my Sony big screen tv.  And yes, it makes a big difference.  I have the Vizio soundbar.  When I lost the remote the other day, I was beside myself because switching back to the tv's sound was just awful!  I must have a soundbar!

We have a Vizio TV and a Sony soundbar and also a bunch of litle speakers that are placed around the room. 

As others have said, I could not imagine trying to watch TV without a soundbar.