Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have a Chromebook? Tell me about it.

[ Edited ]

I do everything on my kindle since my 10 year old laptop is beyond slow.  I'm not looking for anything fancy.  Not very technical. Someone said they have an expiration date.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Chromebook? Tell me about it.

I've had my Acer Chromebook 15 for years...absolutely trouble free.  I'd never go back to a standard laptop. I also have a Kindle that I've had for many years, slow now like yours.  I think you'd be happy with a Chromebook . I'm not tech savvy either, at all !  My Chromebook is 15 inches and is a touch screen.  For sure, get the touch screen, you will be glad you did !!!  (I have another Chromebook that is 14 inches and doesn't have the touch screen feature...ugh...not my fav.)

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV 

I own two CBs. I did some reading about them before my purchases and I thought I would pass along some resources for you to read. Here's a couple of very informative sites from Google who owns 'Chromebook'. The first link here will help answer most of your questions about CBs and the second link is all about Google's Auto Update Policy (aka: 'expiration date'). I'm posting these links b/c there's really tmi to post here about CBs.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3265094?hl=en#:~:text=Chromebooks%20are%20a%20new%20typ....

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CNET dot com (short for Computer Network) is a website dedicated to providing consumers articles, reviews and blogs... etc... about electronics and technology globally. That's where I found out which CB to buy for my needs. One type or brand of CB does not fit everyone's needs. Find one which is best fit for you.  I'll pass this info along to anyone looking to buy a CB based on CNET reviews. You don't necessarily have to buy one of these but it will give you an idea of what to look for in a CB.

Search:  Best Chromebook 2021 - CNET

Usually CBs on sale with deep discounted prices indicate those devices often have short outdates. Even many common sale prices may indicate that those devices have shorter outdates than the newer CBs.

Trusted Contributor

I am not tech savvy and did not have a good experience.  I did much research before I purchased a Lenovo CB.  Initially I was pleased but within 6 months I began getting an "aw snap" message.  I was able to restart and reset for a few months but eventually I could not get the CB to reboot.  I then took it to "computer repair" and he "fixed" it and the fix lasted 3 days.  I then researched how to repair myself and went through the steps/directions but to no avail.  I am back using my old Dell with Windows 7.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like my Chromebook, but the problem is my cats like my lap and want my undivided attention when I'm sitting down. If I sit in a chair and pull up the Chromebook the cats make a beeline for my lap. That's the main reason I use my tablets more than my Chromebook. I can hold the tablets above the cats. If I try to use the Chromebook on a table alongside the chair, a cat will decide they need to be on that table. I'm typing this on my desktop from about three feet from the monitor as Callie is lying on the keyboard pull-out and I'm sitting with the keyboard in my lap. Chromebooks are great little computers at a good price. I'd use mine more if it wasn't for my cats.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Occasional Contributor

Chromebooks are fantastic and easy to use. You JUST missed some great sales on them earlier this week at a certain big e-store. I picked up one that the screen flips around so you can use it as a tablet form factor as well as a laptop. Nothing wrong with my old one which I have been using for about 5 years, just liked the form factor.

If you are just an email/web browsing/video watcher, a Chromebook will serve youw ell.

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I like my Chromebook, but the problem is my cats like my lap and want my undivided attention when I'm sitting down. If I sit in a chair and pull up the Chromebook the cats make a beeline for my lap. That's the main reason I use my tablets more than my Chromebook. I can hold the tablets above the cats. If I try to use the Chromebook on a table alongside the chair, a cat will decide they need to be on that table. I'm typing this on my desktop from about three feet from the monitor as Callie is lying on the keyboard pull-out and I'm sitting with the keyboard in my lap. Chromebooks are great little computers at a good price. I'd use mine more if it wasn't for my cats.

@gardenman  You painted a very cute picture with that post.  Thank you!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV

I used two YouTube channels to help me buy a Chromebook and a tablet last year. 

"My Next Tablet" Is a channel where the reviewer only talks about tablets and Chromebooks , and Chrome Unboxing only reviews Chromebooks. Each of these channels has a website. 

I am an Android person who buys Samsung phones and tablets. I would not buy their Chromebooks . This company does not make a good quality book.

Amazon has the iPad Air 4 2020 at a great price. You can pair this tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard and you have a laptop replacement. Amazon sells an iPad stand.

"Tech Gear Talk" is a YouTube channel where I learned the difference in tech between  a classic and an Air.

Enjoy 

Trusted Contributor

A few years back, I didn't know if I wanted one or not and I didn't like Windows much at all, so....I bought an HP CB for around $150.  And liked (loved) it awhole lot.  I still have that extraordinarily cheap HP CB and a couple of others that are more high end.  You probably will be surprised at how nice Chrome Books are....