Super Contributor

Re: Anyone ever manually install I.E.9 via a CD/DVD? Need help, please.

On 7/30/2014 feline groovy said:
On 7/30/2014 chickenbutt said:

Do you have SP1 installed on your Windows 7 computer? If so, you would want to install, or update to IE 11. Otherwise, you can only go up to IE9. But IE 11 would be preferable, as would making sure to get the SP1 update installed on the computer. More security and all that. Smiley Happy

Hey, Chicky - thanks for your input.

I just double-checked (Googled the how-to) that I have Service Pack 1 already installed on that Windows 7 Toshiba notebook, and I do. Yay(?)

I will note that Internet Explorer 11 is preferable to the IE9 that was originally installed. And if I end up having to friggin' buy a DVD, I hope that IE11 won't be more expensive. Although I'm always for more security and all that. Smiley Happy

"Team Tarz-Ru" ! (in order of appearance, heh)

Or, "Team Tarru" !

Or, "Team Ru-Tarz" !

Or, "Team Rutar" !

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Again, internet explorer is still available for install on the computer. It's was never fully deleted. You just need to follow the instructions above to install it again from the internal drive already in your computer. If someone is telling you that you need to buy a DVD with internet explorer on it to install to you computer you are being misinformed and ripped off. You shouldn't have to spend any additional money to get this back.
Honored Contributor

Hey Feline! OMG, I didn't even recognize you. d'oh! I'm not doing too well lately and I think my brain has given up and taken a vacation. ha!

Anyhoo, there is no reason to have to pay for Internet Explorer. #1, as already mentioned, it is actually part of the operating system and is somewhere there on your computer. #2, if necessary, you can do an install/upgrade from the Windows website. But that should also be appearing on your 'Windows Updates'. Since you DO have SP1, it should be including the upgrade from IE9 to IE11 in updates.

If your IE has become corrupted, just go to Windows and find the install. There is no cost. I had that happen once, years ago, when I was letting my Windows updates go automatically. Something got corrupted with IE, in the course of it automatically processing updates, and I had to re-install my IE. This was years ago, but ever since then I just have my computers set to let me know when updates are available so I can choose what I want and do the updates WHEN I want so they don't coincide with other stuff updating and possibly cause problems.

Best wishes! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 7/30/2014 Lynnj said:
On 7/30/2014 feline groovy said:
On 7/30/2014 chickenbutt said:

Do you have SP1 installed on your Windows 7 computer? If so, you would want to install, or update to IE 11. Otherwise, you can only go up to IE9. But IE 11 would be preferable, as would making sure to get the SP1 update installed on the computer. More security and all that. Smiley Happy

Hey, Chicky - thanks for your input.

I just double-checked (Googled the how-to) that I have Service Pack 1 already installed on that Windows 7 Toshiba notebook, and I do. Yay(?)

I will note that Internet Explorer 11 is preferable to the IE9 that was originally installed. And if I end up having to friggin' buy a DVD, I hope that IE11 won't be more expensive. Although I'm always for more security and all that. Smiley Happy

"Team Tarz-Ru" ! (in order of appearance, heh)

Or, "Team Tarru" !

Or, "Team Ru-Tarz" !

Or, "Team Rutar" !

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Again, internet explorer is still available for install on the computer. It's was never fully deleted. You just need to follow the instructions above to install it again from the internal drive already in your computer. If someone is telling you that you need to buy a DVD with internet explorer on it to install to you computer you are being misinformed and ripped off. You shouldn't have to spend any additional money to get this back.

Thanks again, Lynn... I'm workin' on it.

Your looking out for others is a wonderful thing, and I always try to do the same.

Plus, my entire budget is extremely tight, and I know there are many others in similar - or much worse - situations.

Honored Contributor

On 7/31/2014 chickenbutt said:

Hey Feline! OMG, I didn't even recognize you. d'oh! I'm not doing too well lately and I think my brain has given up and taken a vacation. ha!

Anyhoo, there is no reason to have to pay for Internet Explorer. #1, as already mentioned, it is actually part of the operating system and is somewhere there on your computer. #2, if necessary, you can do an install/upgrade from the Windows website. But that should also be appearing on your 'Windows Updates'. Since you DO have SP1, it should be including the upgrade from IE9 to IE11 in updates.

If your IE has become corrupted, just go to Windows and find the install. There is no cost. I had that happen once, years ago, when I was letting my Windows updates go automatically. Something got corrupted with IE, in the course of it automatically processing updates, and I had to re-install my IE. This was years ago, but ever since then I just have my computers set to let me know when updates are available so I can choose what I want and do the updates WHEN I want so they don't coincide with other stuff updating and possibly cause problems.

Best wishes! Smiley Happy

Must be due to my new look: had my fur colored and permed, LOL. Sending you good thoughts, positive vibes, & healing energy; I have had chronic health challenges most of my life & sincerely empathize. Another thing we have in common, heh. Smiley Wink

Thanks so much for all of your advice, and although I've been corrupted (many times, hehe), I sure hope that my IE has not.

I think I'll take you up on your tip of always doing manual updates for Windows. Plus, I don't want to take the chance of ever having to re-install IE again, if at all possible.

Best wishes rightbackatcha, Chick! 8)

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Darlin! At any rate, I hope you get it worked out. I guess one good thing is that all the stuff that is part of the Windows o/s should be available at no cost to replace, repair, etc.

One thing that bummed me out was that they stopped having Microsoft Works in Windows, I believe, when Windows 7 started. There are just couple things in this software that I use regularly but, even more importantly, I have a ton of Works documents. If you don't have Works on the computer you would no longer be able to open them.

Fortunately, I found a place online that sells it and it's not expensive at all. When I got my first Win 7 computer I purchased it from them. Then, wouldn't ya know it, I lost the darn thing, so I ended up going back the next year and buying another one. d'oh! Now I know exactly where I put the second one so whenever I have a new computer I can install it. Meanwhile, unless my house ghost got it (wouldn't be the first time), that first disc will show up one day.