Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Anyone ever manually install I.E.9 via a CD/DVD? Need help, please.

Hey there, peeps. A bit of background first, it it helps any:

Long story short... Have never done this before, but I accidentally left my main laptop entirely browser-less (duh!). And now will be buying software to manually install Internet Explorer 9, which is what came with my computer. My IOS is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

I was hoping to be able to purchase the IE9 program separately, but found out that it's not even available. So I went to Amazon and will be buying this: a well reviewed $98.93 1-pack (w/ "new packaging"!, hehe ) DVD of "Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit System Builder OEM".

The two naive questions that I have are:

1) what happens to the Windows 7 Home Premium that's already in my computer?

2) is the Windows Explorer (aka File Explorer) program also a part of the new DVD?

I really appreciate any input you may have.

TIA Smile & peace out,

feline groovy

Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone ever manually install I.E.9 via a CD/DVD? Need help, please.

Gee, I don't think you need to buy another DVD at all. You should be able to get IE somewhere like at Miscrosoft. Or it should still be on your computer hiding. Did you go to Add/Remove Programs and see if you could reinstall it under Window components or something? Same with Windows Explorer. Don't think you can really get rid of those.

And you know you can use other browsers like Chrome which you can get free.

Found this for you. It says you can not uninstall IE

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-605366/uninstalling-internet-explorer/?tag=mncol;5f

Honored Contributor

On 7/29/2014 VolvoGirl said:

Gee, I don't think you need to buy another DVD at all. You should be able to get IE somewhere like at Miscrosoft. Or it should still be on your computer hiding. Did you go to Add/Remove Programs and see if you could reinstall it under Window components or something? Same with Windows Explorer. Don't think you can really get rid of those.

And you know you can use other browsers like Chrome which you can get free.

Found this for you. It says you can not uninstall IE

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-605366/uninstalling-internet-explorer/?tag=mncol;5f

I actually do need the DVD, as I worked for hours on my laptop and doing a lot of research, and I could not find or recover Internet Explorer 9 from anywhere. Of course, it's always possible that I missed something . Smiley Wink

And I can't download it from the 'Net, as there is no other browser on that particular laptop that I can use to do that. I normally have at least two browsers going, in case I have to temporarily uninstall one and need the other to access an online download. But I can't even get them them free from CNET or whoever, as there is no other way to access the Internet from that specific laptop.

That's why I said I was totally "browser-less", LOL.

But I will try and very much appreciate all of your tips, but do keep in mind that I must be able to access the Interwebz from that specific laptop in order to download anything online.

Which I can't do, and Windows Help said that the only other way was to manually install I.E.9. You know, just pop that DVD in and follow the instructions. 8)

Respected Contributor

You can't uninstall Internet Explorer. Go to the control panel, programs and features(I think that's the name), Windows components, select IE and do a repair.

Regular Contributor

Is that laptop online? Can you get email on it? On that laptop I would try opening an email that has a link in it and click on the link and see if it can open it in a browser. Or open a word document or notepad and type in a full web address and if it looks active try clicking on it and see what happens.

OH, and if it is connected to the internet (even without a browser) go to Windows Update and see if you can get new updates for it. That might help put back IE.

Trusted Contributor

Why not download the installer file onto portable storage using another computer?

Regular Contributor

If you have your IOS as Windows 7, Apple gonna be you know what....
Honored Contributor

Thank you very much for you suggestions, etc.. 8-)

To answer your comments and questions, I should have clarified that:

1) the laptop is a newer Toshiba PC, not a Mac (but I've had Toshiba's before with no incidents).

2) I do not have any desktop icons for Internet Explorer.

3) Internet Explorer is not listed anywhere in the Start menu, nor anywhere under the Control Programs program listing. Which is why I can't select it.

4) And reconfirming, there is no way to access and/or browse the Internet - including email and anything else - without being able to click on a browser to do so. I can 'get' online, but can't access it without being able to click on a browser; they're now all gone. That laptop currently does not have my usual IE, Chrome, and Firefox browsers anywhere (meaning, in a listing or on my desktop), as I had accidentally and stupidly uninstalled all three, without leaving myself even a single one with which to download the IE9 program from the Internet (again, duh!) into/onto that laptop.

5) I will try opening a "Word" document or "Notepad", then type in a full web address. If it looks to be 'active', I will then try clicking on it and seeing if it takes me anywhere.

6) I will try to access IE9 via Windows Updates, in the hope that manually updating my Windows 7 Home Premium will 'magically' put IE back. Smiley Wink

7) I will try downloading the IE9 program file from the backup computer (another PC) - that I'm blessedly still being able to use - onto portable storage.

Hope this all makes sense, LOL...

Since it seems that I still need to buy the DVD I listed in my OP - damm expensive, though - can anyone please answer the two questions that I have in my OP?

Thanks again! I'm grateful for all of your help. Smile

feline groovy =^..^=

Regular Contributor

If you get a Windows 7 DVD instead of installing it you can do a Repair. Maybe you can borrow one from someone? I had to do a repair on my windows XP a couple times. I think I just put the disk in and then rebooted and it gave me a choice what to do when it started up.

Also try asking over in the CNET forum. I use them a lot.

Super Contributor

Here is how you get it back...click START on bottom left > click CONTROL PANEL> click ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. Now look on the left, you will see 4 things listed. Click on the thing that says ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS PROGRAMS. Cick on that and you will see internet explorer listed. Click the box next to internet explorer, and click next, then wait until it's finished. It will now reinstall internet explorer. You should then have internet explorer back. You'll probably need to click on start > all programs to see internet explorer listed once you've done the things above.