Respected Contributor

Another question about my Mac

There aren't many times I miss using Windows but when I do, it's a lot.  Right now I want an easier way to set a programs default location for saving documents, etc..  With Windows I could select "save as" when saving a file and either change the name of the document or the location.  I could also select the default save or download location for a particlular program.  With Apple, it seems like the Download or iCloud folders is the default folders for the 2 programs I use most Preview and Pages. 

I know I need to get into the habit of checking where the file is going first but, old habits die hard.  I've been online looking for the way to change the default save or download location for these two programs.  Either I'm using the wrong search words or there isn't a way to do this.  Can anyone share a simple way to change the default location for documents, photos and other files for each program?  Thanks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another question about my Mac

@glb613, try this...

To use "Save As" in a current file in a support app:
  1. Click on the File menu in the upper left corner of your Mac's screen.
  2. Hold down the Option key and the "Duplicate File" option magically turns into "Save As."
LM

Contributor

[ Edited ]

The top of each document has the name of the document or untitled with a down arrow. Click on this name and a window with “where” will appear. Click on the where location and a menu with “other”at the bottom will appear. Choose other and navigate to your default location. (you may need to move a document there, but once you do, the default is set.) I set up separate folders for pages,numbers and keynote and I expect it can be done whenever you have a save function in an app.

I blame Steve Jobs for this short-coming…wish he was here so I could box his ears a few times! 

I keep all my default documents on an sd card with folders and sub-folders just like I did in Windows. 

I made this discovery this morning after reading your request for help…thanks for asking since I have wanted to set default locations myself!

Respected Contributor

@Buster43 wrote:

The top of each document has the name of the document or untitled with a down arrow. Click on this name and a window with “where” will appear. Click on the where location and a menu with “other”at the bottom will appear. Choose other and navigate to your default location. (you may need to move a document there, but once you do, the default is set.) I set up separate folders for pages,numbers and keynote and I expect it can be done whenever you have a save function in an app.

I blame Steve Jobs for this short-coming…wish he was here so I could box his ears a few times! 

I keep all my default documents on an sd card with folders and sub-folders just like I did in Windows. 

I made this discovery this morning after reading your request for help…thanks for asking since I have wanted to set default locations myself!

I love creating folders and subfolders.  I"m almost OCD about organizing my documents in folders.  I look at the download folder and it's a jumbled hot mess.  Every time I create a document, save a document from an e-mail or the internet, the computer wants to save it to iCloud.  Again this might be my fault but, there are times when I can't get it to select the folder or subfolder I want to use. 

Contributor

I suspect you've been fighting this battle longer than I have, but so far I've had no problems saving to the folder of my choice.

I'm determined to prove that a computer is a computer and it doesn't matter if it's a Mac or PC...you just need to find where they hid things on a Mac! I switched to a Mac to keep my brain active and so far it's getting a real workout!

Valued Contributor

@glb613 A tip, save everything to desktop, which might be default, or at the top of save ooptions. Then move it where you want it.