Super Contributor

Android Phone Potentially Can Be Hacked With a Text

[ Edited ]

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488499,00.asp

Researchers have discovered a bug in Google's mobile operating system that can give hackers access to people's phones just by sending a text.

According to mobile security firm Zimperium, attackers need only know your phone number.

About 95 percent of Android devices, or about 950 million smartphones, are vulnerable, Drake said.

http://gizmodo.com/oh-great-new-android-flaw-lets-hackers-into-your-phone-1720381448

If you’re really worried about your smartphone being a ticking time bomb ready to explode at the whim of some hacker, stop using Hangouts. Most other texting apps won’t immediately download a video until you open the text. So it’s still risky, but at least you can see an unknown number and delete without worry. The only good news from all of this is that the use of this vulnerability hasn’t been seen out in the wild yet, so here’s hoping that 950 million Android phones can get patched before this becomes a serious problem.

Less "hair on fire"....

http://www.androidcentral.com/stagefright-exploit-what-you-need-know

Make no mistake about it: This is a bad exploit. And it further highlights the difficulties of getting updates pushed out through the manufacturer and carrier ecosystem.

This is an exploit that needs to be fixed, sooner rather than later — if it hasn't been already. But it's not one that's going to keep us up at night. There are a lot of unknowns, and unfortunately they're being ignored for the sake of scary-sounding storytelling.

I don't know how Tracfone will deal with this.  I looked in my LG41c settings and there's an area for updates but no update yet.  I'm worried we won't get a patch from/for TF.  Does anyone know anything else about this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Android Phone Potentially Can Be Hacked With a Text

Tracfone probably won't be the one dealing with this it would be LG. Found some info that says these manufacturers don't have financial incentive to fix phones already sold. Google has a fix that they gave to the manufacturers. Of course the fix will be on all new phones but who knows when or if they will release a patch for the phones already on the market. I bought 2 of the LG Sunset Tracfones. http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/07/27/426613020/major-flaw-in-android-phones-woul...

Valued Contributor

I'm concerned about these virus/bug issues because my understanding is that Tracfone does not push any Android updates.  I don't see how LG could do updates.  I thought only the carriers pushed the updates.

If anyone has more knowledge about Tracfone and system updates, please share.

Regular Contributor

@JGalt wrote:

I'm concerned about these virus/bug issues because my understanding is that Tracfone does not push any Android updates.  I don't see how LG could do updates.  I thought only the carriers pushed the updates.

If anyone has more knowledge about Tracfone and system updates, please share.

My understanding is that google released a patch shortly after this was discovered. From there it would have to go through let's say LG, Samsung, etc., and it's then left to your carrier. Having had Tracfone for a few years, I hardly doubt they'll do anything about this. 

I would stop using Hangout since it automatically downloads vids. But then what do you do? Never open any pics/vids from a contact you know in case they were sending you infected material?

Occasional Visitor

Until there is a fix, you can do this: go into your messaging settings, then Multimedia Message and turn off Auto-rertrieve.

FMI: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-stop-android-text-message-virus-3621072/

Honored Contributor

@Lori L wrote:

Until there is a fix, you can do this: go into your messaging settings, then Multimedia Message and turn off Auto-rertrieve.

FMI: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-stop-android-text-message-virus-3621072/

Thank you. I will have to go back & read all this info. I don't think I will have any problems because I don't text & I don't use my phone to surf the web or email. I use my computer or iPad for that. DH is the one that will need to figure this all out since he does text & get online on his phone. Since Google released a fix so I don't see why these phone manufacturers cannot put the patch out there for those that want or need it.

Super Contributor

I had disabled auto retrieval of MMS per the articles I posted, but I did also get a notification from Avast to do it.

Still no updates for the OS though.  I wonder if we'll be able to use an available patch even if TFone doesn't send it.

Honored Contributor

Just received 2 of the LG Sunset L33L. DH has set his up but not finished putting all his contacts etc on the phone. I saw some place on the phone while I was checking it out there was an update. I asked DH if he knew if it was for the StageFright threat. He never checked it out. I have not opened my phone yet. I found this online.

In order to prevent such a hack attack, users are only required to disable the automatic retrieving feature for MMS.  Here is how users can protect their devices from getting hacked through Stagefright exploit:

Honored Contributor

I had to call Tracfone so I aksed them about an update. She told me Tracfone does not do that. She said it's up to the phone manufacturer. I think I will email or call LG just to see what they say.

Esteemed Contributor