Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon's Kindle Fire 7", 8GB for $49.99. What do you think?

If you want to read on it quite a bit and also want to view movies and photos, the screen on this model is not very good. There is a reason the HD model (which this is not) exists. If you are not picky in any way and price is your one and only consideration go for it - but it's only "ideal" for children's first tablet, and NOT for extended book reading. IMO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

It would be fine for a novice or a child or to use on the go, so I think it is a good deal because you get the cover. For those who want just one, you can get it on Amazon for $49.99 and you can buy a generic cover (if you even want one) for $5-$12 at a discount store.  The two downloads aren't important to me altho the Britannica might be useful. 

I bought the 6" Fire HD when Amazon had a special on it for $69.95, normally $99, which I think they will run again. It weighs ten ounces. It has Dolby audio and two speakers which make a big difference and 252 ppi which makes reading really easy. It's a much better tablet but I still may buy the HSN set for gifts.

Frequent Contributor

just received this today....easy wifi setup, email (2 accounts) all done in less than 10 minutes.  Good clarity, easy to use.  Will try reading later.  Very satisfied.

Respected Contributor

@sunbeam wrote:

just received this today....easy wifi setup, email (2 accounts) all done in less than 10 minutes.  Good clarity, easy to use.  Will try reading later.  Very satisfied.

Good!!! I'm thinking about it. 

Valued Contributor

Amazon offers this with an immediate thirty dollars off at checkout if you sign up for an AMZ credit card.  That makes the tablet $20 bucks.  

Esteemed Contributor

That wouldn't work for me as I bought the Echo 3 days ago and with a new Amazon card plus another $20 deal on it I saved $70 (a great Xmas gift for son as we already had a $99 Echo.

Honored Contributor

FYI for today (11/11) - I just noticed several Kindles in the 'today's deals'.    Just go to Amazon and click on 'today's deals' and you'll see them.

Respected Contributor

I'm on my third Kindle and love it!  Actually, I've loved everyone that I've had.

This is probably the stupidest question ever asked, but I have to ask.  Most of my books, videos, well just about everything is stored in the "cloud".  Here's my question:  if I travel to Europe, will I still be able to see what I have in the cloud? 

I warned you it was probably one of the stupidest questions possible!

Thanks!!!Man Surprised

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I'm on my third Kindle and love it!  Actually, I've loved everyone that I've had.

This is probably the stupidest question ever asked, but I have to ask.  Most of my books, videos, well just about everything is stored in the "cloud".  Here's my question:  if I travel to Europe, will I still be able to see what I have in the cloud? 

I warned you it was probably one of the stupidest questions possible!

Thanks!!!Man Surprised

You should be able to assuming the wifi you're using while there doesn't have filtering to limit your capabilities. They do call it the "World Wide Web" after all. If you go to China or North Korea things might get a tick trickier, but in mainstream Europe, you should be okay.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!