Respected Contributor

Amazon's Kindle Fire 7", 8GB for $49.99. What do you think?

I might consider this deal and I would use it as an e-reader mostly, as a backup to my Kindle Keyboard.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon's Kindle Fire 7", 8GB for $49.99. What do you think?

I have the Fire HD 7 and I love it. It's a neat little gadget.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I am considering as well.  Is it an Android?  Can it be used like a regular tablet?

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I might consider this deal and I would use it as an e-reader mostly, as a backup to my Kindle Keyboard.

@Big Sister

An older article about managing 8GB of storage. http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-kindle-fire-is-8gb-enough/

Respected Contributor

@disneynut57 wrote:

I am considering as well.  Is it an Android?  Can it be used like a regular tablet?

No, not Android.  It runs Amazon's proprietary OS.  

Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

IMO, the resolution at 171 ppi is not good enough for use as an ereader.  I have a spare tablet with res near this, and I hate reading on it.  For an ereader, I prefer res of 240 ppi or better.  Just something to think about.

Super Contributor

@nomless I don't know a lot about the techie side of things, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question.

Where did you see the resolution at 171 ppi? The only thing I could find was at amazon, and the one that I "think" is the same shows 216 ppi. I didn't see anything about this on the HSN item description

Having asked that, the only thing I think I understand is that we are talking about the clarity on the print. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help you or anyone can give me. Smiley Happy

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Honored Contributor

@luv2drive wrote:

@nomless I don't know a lot about the techie side of things, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question.

Where did you see the resolution at 171 ppi? The only thing I could find was at amazon, and the one that I "think" is the same shows 216 ppi. I didn't see anything about this on the HSN item description

Having asked that, the only thing I think I understand is that we are talking about the clarity on the print. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help you or anyone can give me. Smiley Happy

The stated resolution for the $49 Kindle Fire is 171 ppi, but there are very few complaints about the resolution in the reviews I've seen and for $49 you can't find anything much better. It wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

@gardenman Thanks so much for your input. I am still thinking about (tempted by) this deal.

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Respected Contributor

I had nothing but problems with my Kindle Fire 7 HD. It wouldn't hold a charge, and fail despite plenty of battery life indicated. I went round and round with Amazon supervisors. They replaced it no less than THREE times and each unit did the exact same thing several months later. They were well cared for, never abused, and used as a reader for the most part. I have never returned anything else to Amazon over all the years I'd been a Prime member. The Fire was a dud for me.

I have a Kindle Keyboard and a Voyage and love them both. I was not a fan of the screen quality of the Paperwhite.