Trusted Contributor
I think I already know the answer but if a person does not have a high def TV with the HDMI can you still use this?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon fire stick

[ Edited ]

@KCDiva wrote:
I think I already know the answer but if a person does not have a high def TV with the HDMI can you still use this?

@KCDivaI am one of the least technologically savvy people around so I hope others besides myself will reply to your question.

In order to use a streaming stick on an older TV you can purchase something called an "HDMI to Composite AV Converter" that uses those white, red, and yellow AV inputs on older TVs.

If it's streaming you're looking for, and it doesn't have to be the Firestick, there's a device called the "Roku Express +" that already has everything you need and works on TVs with HDMI or composite cables. If you go with another brand, you'll need the additional converter.

Of course whatever brand you choose, you will need a wifi connection for it to work. And if you do happen to go with the Roku, be sure it is the "Roku Express Plus" in order to get the cables you need for an older TV.

Remember that an Internet search can give you lots of great information (I'm sure you already know) and YouTube is awesome because they actually show you how to hook things up.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded and good luck with whatever you choose! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@KCDiva Hubby says no however there is a converter you can buy. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

Why not buy a new Smart TV?  You won't need to buy the cables or the Firestick.   Depending on the size you need, they are cheap and have a much better picture.  
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@KCDiva wrote:

Why not buy a new Smart TV?  You won't need to buy the cables or the Firestick.   Depending on the size you need, they are cheap and have a much better picture.  

I bought Amazon's 55" 4K FIre TV on Prime day for $399 and I love it! The picture's great, the FIre TV integration is great. It's just a great all around experience with everything built right in. Setup took maybe fifteen minutes all total. The normal price is quite a bit higher, but you can get a highly rated Roku 55" 4K set from TCL for $450 at many places that has Roku built in and is very, very well rated by a number of sources.

Truth be told once you see the picture you get with a really good HDTV, you'll wonder why you waited so long to upgrade. The prices are very good these days and the picture quality is amazing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2  I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of a satellite receiver and just using the fire stick.  I have a HDTV and understand it should have a HDMI port.  Is it just a matter of plugging it in or what else is involved?  They also come (from Amazon) with an Echo remote, and apparently you can tell Alexa what you want to watch and she'll dial it up for you.  I have an Echo but I think it's too far from the TV so I may have to get a Dot. 

I'm just wondering how complicated the installation is. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SusieQ_2  I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of a satellite receiver and just using the fire stick.  I have a HDTV and understand it should have a HDMI port.  Is it just a matter of plugging it in or what else is involved?  They also come (from Amazon) with an Echo remote, and apparently you can tell Alexa what you want to watch and she'll dial it up for you.  I have an Echo but I think it's too far from the TV so I may have to get a Dot. 

I'm just wondering how complicated the installation is. 

Installation of the Fire TV Stick is a breeze. You plug it into an HDMI port, plug the power adapter into an outlet. Turn on the HDTV, set it to the right HDMI input and then follow the directions on the TV.

You'll have to set it up for your wifi network (password and whatnot) then simply select the apps you want to use on it, download and install them and you'll be good to go. Your Echo can control the FIre TV Stick, but you'll have to synch the two using the Echo App on your tablet/smartphone. It's not hard though.

Some apps (those for cable channels primarily) require you to sign in through your cable/satellite provider and submit a code that's shown on the screen, but it's all pretty easy. They give you the website to go to and the code, so it's pretty much a snap to do it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, good morning! I'm glad Gardenman answered this before me because he has the Firestick while mine is Roku--also a stick streamer but I don't use Alexa with mine.

The reason I'm answering, too, is just to reiterate that set up is easy. From reading what he wrote I can tell the two products are very similar.

For me, I just plugged in the streamer (the actual stick) into the HDMI port, plugged one end of the power cord (they provide) into the streamer and the other into an outlet. Then, with my TV remote selected which HDMI port I utilized (for me it was HDMI2), waited a minute or so and once it came on screen it pretty much tells you what to do--which you do using the remote, or in your case, you might be able to use Alexa. I don't have that so I don't know.

My question for you is regarding your comment that you want the Firestick to replace your satellite receiver. I use my Roku as an addition to my cable. The streamer can be used without cable, or satellite, but your channels will be limited by what you want to pay for.

I use mine for Netflix (about $10 a month), Hulu (about $8 per month), and so on. There is also DirectTV Now which has packages--prices increase depending how many channels you want--you can Google it, but they start at $35 for 60 channels and go up to $70 for 120 channels which will get you basically what you get on cable or satellite.

Again, I answered in addition to Gardenman because for me, personally, the more times I read or hear about something I'm not too adept at (and for me, that's anything technologically based!) the more I feel like I understand it. 

After reading all this, if you feel like a steamer is for you, I think you will be able to do it. I was so proud of myself for setting up my wireless router you would have thought I had just cured some rare disease. So, if I can do it, anyone can! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon fire stick

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 @gardenman  Thank you so much for your helpful responses.  I went ahead and ordered the stick and will play it by ear after it arrives.  I already belong to Netflix and Prime so that should be enough movies to put me to sleep at night. 

You may hear from me again. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SusieQ_2@gardenman  Thank you so much for your helpful responses.  I went ahead and ordered the stick and will play it by ear after it arrives.  I already belong to Netflix and Prime so that should be enough movies to put me to sleep at night. 

You may hear from me again. 

You shouldn't have any problems. It's very easy to install and set up. Prime has some really good series and shows that are exclusive to Prime. I like the BBC's old "Top Gear" guys and they have their show on Prime now in "The Grand Tour." With both Netflix and Prime you'll likely never be able to say, "There's nothing good on TV to watch." Your bigger problem will be finding the time to watch everything you want to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!