Esteemed Contributor

@lovestodance:  The Fire tablet is easy peasy, my 4yr grandson has been using his for over a year.  I'd buy the latest version from A website; you'll have it by Monday and call their customer service and they'll help you set it up.  After that, any questions you have can be answered by hitting MayDay button.  A also has many cases as does the Bay.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon fire Tsv?

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

@lovestodance:  The Fire tablet is easy peasy, my 4yr grandson has been using his for over a year.  I'd buy the latest version from A website; you'll have it by Monday and call their customer service and they'll help you set it up.  After that, any questions you have can be answered by hitting MayDay button.  A also has many cases as does the Bay.

@lovestodance

Amazon has a very nice Fire HD8  32 GB tablet for $119.  I have a few 8" tablets. I like the size of the display, and they are not as heavy as a 10.1 product. Amazon gives customers 30 day return, and you can print the return label from your computer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@patbz wrote:

@lovestodance

Amazon has a very nice Fire HD8  32 GB tablet for $119.  I have a few 8" tablets. I like the size of the display, and they are not as heavy as a 10.1 product. Amazon gives customers 30 day return, and you can print the return label from your computer.

@lovestodance@NuttmegThat new 8" Amazon Fire 32 GB is the one I use the most.  I have a few different ones too.  It is a very nice size and light weight and very portable.  This one also has the "Alexa" built it.  That is nice.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@patbz  @lovestodance  Note:  I believe only the HDX models have Mayday.  The newest ones don't have this feature.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovestodance, you should be very proud of yourself for wanting to learn new technology!  I am in my mid-50's and can't imagine having the attitude of not wanting to learn new technology.  People, you'd better stay with the times, or you're going to find new experiences more and more difficult.  I went to a new spa a few months back, was handed an iPad, and was expected to be able to enter all my information myself.  The DMV now has touchscreens on the wall where you select the reason for your visit and so forth.  The post office is doing away with many tellers in favor of machines for stamps and simple transactions.  

My mother is suffering from Alzheimer's, and I really believe something that did not help is her lifelong habit of refusing to learn anything new.  Even when she and Dad got a VCR "way back when," she refused to learn how to work it leaving it all up to Dad.  A new dishwasher?  Untouched.  We would show her how to use things and make her practice, but as soon as we would leave, she would never use the device in question so forget how to do any of it.  

All this being said, I agree with @Nuttmeg about 8" tablets.  I have the 7" Fire in question (too small, too slow, not enough common apps, and only good for a reader or apps/internet in a pinch).  I have a cheapie Android 8" (has been just fine for how I use it), and I also have the iPad mini 4, which is 8 inches.  To me, the 8" is the perfect size.  If you can afford it, I highly recommend the iPad mini. Fast, smooth, beautiful colors, and lots of help out there for it besides the fact that it should last years.   If you buy from a locally owned computer business, they often have classes on their products.  I've noticed my library offers classes, too, on tablets and so forth.  

I recently bought an inexpensive 10.1 inch tablet at Best Buy to try out that size before I invested in a similar size of iPad...thought I might like a bigger screen.  So glad I did, because I find the larger tablets harder to hold and heavier.  The 8" is perfect for me.

I bought a new camera and find it quite challenging to understand.  Did I take it back or stick it in the closet?  No.  I signed up for a camera class that the local business where I purchased the camera is offering.  I advise buying something new that you have no experience with locally for just this reason.  You can go to a real person who can show you how to do something or get you unstuck.

I don't say any of this to hurt anyone's feelings.  I just hate to see people doing a disservice to themselves by shunning techonology.  The Dummy books are excellent, and Google is your friend.  You can Google almost any "how to" question and find the answer.  

Esteemed Contributor

All new Fire tablets have MayDay button.  I use the 8"(love it).  Buy the least expensive one with an expansion slot and buy a micro SD card from A or Ebay.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

All new Fire tablets have MayDay button.  I use the 8"(love it).  Buy the least expensive one with an expansion slot and buy a micro SD card from A or Ebay.

@patbzI have this same one and it does not have Mayday.   I just looked on Amazon and in the Q&A, put Mayday in the search and people there say it does not have Mayday.  If yours has it, can you tell me where it is? 

Not being crabby, I just don't want misinformation put out.  If yours has it and mine doesn't, I need to call Amazon.

Mine is the 8" HD that is $119.00.  It was a new model and ordered from Amazon in September of 2016. 

I would link the page with the answers, but then it would probably get this thread deleted.

Esteemed Contributor

My apologies if I'm wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the fire and love it! I got it from the Amazon site for 49 dollars in the color tangerine. And I got the matching case for 7 dollars on sale it came in two days. I would never order a electronic from a shopping channel.. they load you up with junk you will never need or use. I love this device and the size 7 inch is new for me.HeartWoman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Flip phones have made a come back Samsung just released a new one in Sept 2016...... I recently saw them in Best Buy too ....  so everything old is new again .......  I don't have one....I have a Samsung Galaxy smartphone....

@lovestodance

One thing about Amazon Fire is that it does not support Google Play which has the more popular APPS and GAMES......there is a roundabout way you can add it, but if you aren't tech savvy may not be the best choice.....there are other tablets out there......  You may enjoy a tablet rather than a desk top PC....more portable and some come with the option to use a keyboard and a mouse too......

What you might want to do is check with the school districts in your area to see if they have Continuing Education Programs, many of these offer basic technology courses for seniors.  My friend's step mom is your age she took the course and loved it and learned a lot.

FYI, it does not need the google play store. The fire has something called the "underground" which has free games. And the music is endless. I have a library full of both free games and music and books and free live walpaper. Love it! I have both the  Ipads and fire and I use the fire more often.