Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire Tablet, why I hate it.

Alexa Accessories with Show Mode (which turns your tablet into an Echo Show if you turn it on) just downloaded for all HD8 and 10 2017 tablets.

I posted a thread on it.

I bought the 2017 tablet because so many of my apps no longer worked on my older tablet, so I decided to upgrade only to find that other apps now no longer work.

I have a love-hate relationship with mine.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I have owned Fire tablets since generation two and don't have any issues.  I currently own ten inch generation 7 and am looking forward to ordering charging dock that makes it function like the show.  I am a Prime member and use all my tablet's capabilities (way more cost effective than Apple alternative).

Valued Contributor

Data mining is huge $$$$ these days, so all the electronics "talk" to each other...and report back to their mother ships...lol

Amazon and Google are the worst. Anything linked up or connected to anything involving those companies is sending every piece of info back to the companies...and they'll send you their privacy policies to consent to long after they already collected the data. I've disconnected from gmail..was causing too many headaches. I will never own one of those creepy pod things. My friend says he can constantly hear his neighbors conversations bcz they have those pod things too. My 1st Kindle (I'm talking the one that you had to laboriously scroll through screens to locate things) was doing weird stuff day 1...turning itself on, etc..now it sits with a dead battery, unused. 

FYI your roomba and "smart tv", "smart appliances" are all doing the same thing.

The companies assume you comply when you bought their product

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia.  Oh ok. I don't have an iTunes account.

Esteemed Contributor

re "data mining", That may be part of my problem with the Fire tablet.

I view my phones and tablet as 'tools'. They're there to work as I want them to, for my benefit, not someone else's.

I've never given any of my devices permission to track my location, and as soon as I activate a device or app, I carefully go thru the settings and "opt out" or shut down anything that serves as their tool rather than mine.

It's clear they don't like this, because many options that would reduce data mining aren't even offered to us in the settings anymore.

My newer phone, like the Fire tablet, had changed some of my settings on it's own.

Frequent Contributor

Weird.  I have had mine for years and have never had these problems - knock on wood.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I side-loaded Google Play onto my Fire tablet, voided the warranty and I didn't care. My Fire performs just like a regular Google tablet now....a much better one imo.

Trusted Contributor

If you don't like being "connected", get off the internet. Once you've chosen to be on the inet, you've lost all semblence of any privacy you think you may have once had. Even if you don't choose to use a device of any sort, your house is recorded under Google maps and how many other things we can't even imagine.

Honored Contributor

I just purchased an Amazon Basics bluetooth speaker to help with sound on my tablet.  I have the HD8 2017 version and on some apps like Tivo, the sound is not that great when watching movies or tvs.  Netflix is better but the ABC, NBC app are really bad.  Even my Flash Briefing is hit or miss.  BBC News is really low volume, but ESPN will shake the walls.

I tried it yesterday and the sound quality is nice and I can hear better when watching a show.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I bought hubby a Fire tablet  last Christmas and he hates it for the same reason as OP...