Respected Contributor

I finally got mine out of the box and set it up.  I'm curious how people use theirs. OOOPs, I was wrong.  It's an Amazon Echo Spot. 

Honored Contributor

I use mine in the bedroom to listen to music, check on the time and weather.  I also use it as a sleep aid to listen to ocean waves, rain and wind.  The quality of the sound is very poor for music so I have it paired with a small Bose speaker which makes all the difference.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 I have the Amazon Echo, which is the same only a different size. The first thing is that you need to have Amazon Prime. After that, you can load all the free music into your Prime account and listen to whatever you want just by asking. I also use it while cooking for many reasons. It can set multiple timers; it can give you measurement equivilancies; it can give you recipes; also substitutions. You can call out an item for your shopping list as you use up the last of what you have.That item will show up on your phone. I was forgetting to water my fern this winter, so I had it remind me to water the fern every Sunday at 8 AM. My DH likes the joke of the day and the news and weather. But,be aware, it is always listening.

Esteemed Contributor

We use it for everything stated above and the grands like it to tell them stories and jokes. Agree with Kachina about Dot sound quality so we bought a tiny JBL speaker which solved that problem.  We also have an Echo and a Tap;  these items sound much better than the PX combo I spent several thousand dollars on in the 70s.

Respected Contributor

I use mine for all of the same reasons mentioned plus I like to listen to NPR.  We love it!

Honored Contributor

I also use it for all those things previously mentioned.  Plus, during my favorite sports games, if I wake up during the night, I also ask Alexxa for the score of a particular game.  

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom"The first thing is that you need to have Amazon Prime. After that, you can load all the free music into your Prime account and listen to whatever you want just by asking."

You do not need Amazon Prime.  If your mobile device or your computer has bluetooth, you can play music off the net and/or iTunes all for free & w/o an Amazon Prime membership.

You can also use the DOT in your car to play music all for free and/or a Prime membership!  I am assuming all of Amazon Echo devices can play in the car.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

for all the reasons listed. esp the one in the bedroom: alexa, what time is it in the middle of the night (can't see without my glasses) and ocean sounds.

I have one by my elctric fireplace to play fireplace sounds. wonderful.