Occasional Contributor

Within the past week or so, I have to sign in to most every page I visit, i.e. Comcast/Xfinity, Ancestry, Facebook, etc.  Have I changed a setting somewhere and did not know it or has something else changed?  Usually I can click on the favorite / bookmark and go straight to the page.  I'm not a computer smartie here.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Always having to sign in

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Within the past week or so, I have to sign in to most every page I visit, i.e. Comcast/Xfinity, Ancestry, Facebook, etc.  Have I changed a setting somewhere and did not know it or has something else changed?  Usually I can click on the favorite / bookmark and go straight to the page.  I'm not a computer smartie here.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Check your browser settings and set it to save passwords.

@virginia girl

Did you figure it out @virginia girl? Can I help you?

Honored Contributor

If you haven’t visited the sites in a while, most sites have times beyond which you need to sign in again, no matter what. I always tell Amazon to keep me signed in, but it only leaves me signed in for maybe 48 hrs.

If your software has upgraded, a setting might have been changed.

Setting your device to remember sign-in info is a separate issue. When you go to a website and it asks you if you want to save your sign-in data, say Yes unless you share your device with others where you don’t want them to have all your sign-in data. If your browser saves your data, you won’t need to be looking it all up every time they want you to sign in. It will still ask you to sign in, but with one click you’ve provided the info.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

SilleeMee,

haven''t tried that; where do i find those settings?

thanks

Occasional Contributor

Moonchilde,

these are sites that i frequent many times during the day, like facebook and ancestry.

there was an upgrade a bit back, maybe that was the beginning.

some of the websites do ask "want to remember your password?" and i select yes but it does not hold / stay.

thanks for your answer.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

SilleeMee,

haven''t tried that; where do i find those settings?

thanks

@virginia girl,

What browser are you using when this happens?...Explorer, Chrome, Firefox...? 

Occasional Contributor

Chrome

Respected Contributor

If you are going to have the browser save your passwords, you must have your computer set up so you have to sign in or log on to your computer.  It has to be both if the computer is shutdown or sleep/hibernate.  If you don't and the computer is stolen, the thief will have access to those sites. 

Honored Contributor

@virginia girl,

Please follow these steps for Chrome:

-upper-right hand corner of Chrome screen shows three dots, click it

-a drop-down menu will appear, click Settings

-Settings page will open then scroll to bottom and click Advanced

-then keep scrolling until you see Passwords and forms then click Manage     Passwords

-on the Manage passwords screen at the top click both on and Auto Sign-in buttons to show blue (right-hand side) and you are done.

Please let me know if this solved your problem. Woman Happy

Occasional Contributor

SilleeMee,

just seeing your response and tried your suggestions.  after doing what you suggested, i get a pop up box wanting to know if i want  ""goodle smart lock"" to always or never save my passwords.  i do not remember ever seeing this box before and certainly not in the last bit (several weeks or so) to make any changes.

i will sign out of my computer, shut it down and come back to see if it worked.

thanks for your help.

p.s. its cold in Virginia !!