Super Contributor

Re: Advice on iPhone Model best for Seniors

Thank you all, appreciate all the replies! Consumer Cellular sounds like it will, be best and easiest to follow. Maybe a newer model iPhone. Just got my new Tracfone, so have time to investigate. Going to delete all my old apps and see what happens. It is too bad as it was perfect for my needs, but need to upgrade if getting rid of landline. Susi.

Super Contributor

Using any phone is only as complicated as you make it.  If you only want to use it as a mobile phone, then that is all you do.  If you want to get online or check your e-mail, you set it up to do that.  Just because you are over 65 doesn't mean you are unable to learn something new!!!  I think most people talk themselves into not understanding technology before they even try. 

Super Contributor

Hi, the only reason I mentioned phone for seniors is to explain  that I didn't want one like the latest iPhone that is very expensive and does a lot of extra things that I wouldn't be using. I've had an IPad for years and think the iPhone will be easy. I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy an older one that wouldn't be able to get updated. 

Super Contributor

@Susic wrote:

Hi, the only reason I mentioned phone for seniors is to explain  that I didn't want one like the latest iPhone that is very expensive and does a lot of extra things that I wouldn't be using. I've had an IPad for years and think the iPhone will be easy. I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy an older one that wouldn't be able to get updated. 

I wasn't directing my comment to you.  This is a common topic on the board whether it's a phone or any other device or gadget.  Companies are not going to make a device without all of the "bells and whistles" because it won't sell.  Jitterbug is the only company I can think of which designs a phone for the geriatric population.  Maybe if people would phrase their questions differently, I'm looking for a inexpensive device, they would get better results. 

Regular Contributor

I still have my land line but after Spectrum raised their rates again, I switched to OOMA.  THere is a one time fee to get your old phone number to the new phone but I pay about $6 a month for my land line.  OOMA has bundles available and I bought mine from COSTCO.

Also, my Iphone 11,  for a carrier, I have TING.  Nobody has ever heard of it Smiley Happy

I am charged for what I use.

Esteemed Contributor

@Susic wrote:

I currently have Tracfone, and landline. I don't use phone very often. Landline fee is going up, and for some reason my tracfone is using up my Data too quickly. Thinking of getting rid of cable at some point, and landline sooner.  Don't want to spend a lot on all the premium latest models of iPhones. I have an IPad which is getting older, so what would be a good model to purchase? I was thinking of Consumer Cellular as provider, and they have less expensive iPhone 11, and SE Second Generation.  Not sure if they are considered too old  at this point. Thank you for any opinions! Susi.

I would buy an new unlocked iPhone 14 or iPhone 14+  from Apple. 

My second choice would be an Samsung S23+.

These two phones have great specs and technology.

My third would be a Samsung A54 5G.

This phone has midrange tech and a decent price. It will get a fair amount of updates.

An unlocked iPhone would be a the best choice, if moving away from an cable TV and landline phone.

I am not sure how Consumer Cellular sells their phones.I believe with monthly payments with interest.

No adventure into using more technology is going to be cheap.

Please ask your family to help you find a phone.

Super Contributor

Thank you, but I did state in my original post that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a phone with features I didn't need. Meaning photography, videos , gaming as I am a senior. I prefer Apple products ,and was wondering if there was a basic one , that wouldn't be outdated soon. I am suprised how soon they get outdated. I didn't mean to imply that I couldn't figure out cellphones. I think cell phone providers  are more mysterious, and Consumer Cellular might be a good choice for me. Thank you all for taking time to respond.

Honored Contributor

@Susic wrote:

Thank you, but I did state in my original post that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a phone with features I didn't need. Meaning photography, videos , gaming as I am a senior. I prefer Apple products ,and was wondering if there was a basic one , that wouldn't be outdated soon. I am suprised how soon they get outdated. I didn't mean to imply that I couldn't figure out cellphones. I think cell phone providers  are more mysterious, and Consumer Cellular might be a good choice for me. Thank you all for taking time to respond.

@Susic - I'm an all Apple products kind of girl. Don't get the 11.m it is too old. Since the 15 just came out, maybe get the 14.  They have 4 I think to choose from. Just get the most basic one.  It will take great pictures.  You'll be surprised at the pictures you will take, even if you aren't big into photography. And my favorite thing about owning both an iPhone and iPad is that when my phone rings, I can take the call on my iPad.  It is a wonderful thing.  I always buy my Zapp,Ed products at the a Apple Store and I always get their Apple Care extended warranty.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Susic  "I prefer Apple products ,and was wondering if there was a basic one , that wouldn't be outdated soon."

NOPE!  None of Apple's products are "senior" specific.  The ONLY phones made specifically for "seniors" is Jitterbug which gadgetgal613 mentioned previously.  CS is USofA based like Consumer Cellular.  They have the flip as well as simple "smart" phones.  You get to choose which one you want. 

FWIW:  Tracfone has iPhones.  Tracfone also has FREE iphones & plans through Verizon a/k/a Obama phones.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

Thanks again, I didn't realize that about IPad taking calls from iPhone. I just love my iPad. I think iPhone will be very easy to figure out, once I get carrier and set up. I guess I will go with the 14 so it will last longer. It is too bad they are charging $25.00 a month for land line, which I only use to callblock Medicare Advantage plans.