Respected Contributor

Re: Advice Re: Internet, Cable TV, Landline

@hckynut- thanks, your version is a lot easier to read!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2, I know for a fact that I am paying less than the average person for these bundled services and guess I should be happy for that, but.... I can't help being outraged by the number of increases in such a short amount of time... and I suspect this pattern will continue when "billing codes are eventually switched over to Spectrum" (codes are still under TWC) as it was explained to me on the phone. I did confirm that if I eliminated my land line, for example, my bill would be less and, of course, if I purchase my modem rather than leasing, my bill would be additionally less.

Can I use my computer to stream tv? I don't know enough about what's required. That's my dilemma. I'm afraid if I start making all these changes, somehow I'll wind up with nothing because this isn't compatible with that, I don't have the right equipment, etc., etc.

911 is important to me. Currently, I pay $28/month for my flip phone, unlimited service. Like I said, I don't use it much.

Only leasing the modem for $10/month. No wi-fi. I see an approved modem would run me about $55.

Believe me, I told them about my budget. They had nothin'.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I’m bundled in a minimum package, but I’ve had 3 monthly increases in the past 6 months and I’m finally disgusted with being “nickeled and dimed” by TWC. I’m not that tech savvy and I’m hoping your media suggestions can help me to find a way out of this rut of never-ending increases.

I've already called to negotiate a monthly fee, ask for a customer loyalty reward.... followed by threats to leave, but they are being steadfast for the first time. I guess it's the instructions employees have been given by the new regime. 

Landline

I have my landline and a flip phone. I’m not on the phone a whole lot.  I am a bit nervous about eliminating the land line. Do you think if I invest in a good cell phone, I need not worry about not having a landline? Your suggestions? Iphone? (which I know nothing about). Something else?

Internet

I have 100 Mbps download speed, which is sufficient for my purposes. I have one laptop and one modem. Don’t need a router. It just occurred to me, after years, that I can purchase my own TWC-approved modem to eliminate a $10 monthly modem lease fee on my bill. Of course, I’d be responsible for making sure I have the right modem for any speed upgrades that come along with advancing technology and I also would be giving up 24/7 tech support for the modem in case anything malfunctioned. I mean, $120 modem lease/year isn’t catastrophic, but it’s some savings. Your thoughts on purchasing my own modem?

Cable TV

I already have Basic Cable since I don’t need or want hundreds of cable channels.

Any overall suggestions are appreciated!

is there another cable provider in your area?

if so see what they have 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut, my apologies! My download speed is not 100 Mbps. While speaking to the rep and reading about 100 Mbps on the TWC site, I thought the rep confirmed this to me. I just googled a download speed test, and my computer runs at 4.13 Mbps, which is still sufficient for my needs. lol :-D

@jackthebear, Verizon FIOS is also in my area. They have been outrightly harassing me for Years, both by phone, mail, and in person. I spoke to their Corporate, demanding they "cease and desist" with the harassment, and said I would never, ever do business with them. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure their rates are more (except for new customers with their initial promotional bundling, which would end after a year).

Honored Contributor

True, Spectrum isn't in the mood to negotiate with TWC customers.  They're looking to make a lot of money.  Just some ideas --

I think 100Mbps is a lot unless you watch a lot of movies or play online games.  Can you downgrade to 50/50?

As you mentioned, you could drop your landline.  If you're comfortable with your cell phone or smart phone, then why not?  A lot of people have done it.

You could drop cable and get TV programming over the internet, for example with SlingTV.  Channel selection is more limited, but that's the cost of a lower price.  You would probably need to buy a router and a device, like Roku, and a digital antenna (to receive local TV channels).

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr, I made a mistake with my computer speed (see my previous post). It's 4.13 Mbps.

Honored Contributor

I have dish tv, AT&T phone and internet.  Dish are basic channels, no movie channels, no dvr, etc.  I pay $160 a month.  Cell phone is tracfone at $7 a month.  I would like to eliminate the home phone, but am not ready to yet.  Talking with others, I think I'm paying a fair price.  Not that I like the price.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Can I use my computer to stream tv?
I don't know enough about what's required. That's my dilemma.  

Hi @SaRina

Yes you can stream movies and tv shows to your computer. What tv shows? That I think depends on the individual networks and maybe their contracts with Cable and Satellite Providers.

Now your download speed I can understand, thank you for checking it. I suggest you again go to "Google" and type in "streaming tv shows to computer". I know it can be done via a hard connection or via wifi, which I know you do not have with your provider. Give that a try.

Nobody likes ever rising prices on anything, but it is a fact of life. TV for most is not considered a "necessity" like Utility bills. That is a person's choice, but rising prices still do not sit well with their customers.

The BIG companies are always negotiating contracts with local channels. With Dish Network we lost ABC Network for close to 2 months. I however put on rabbit ears and picked up the local over-the-air ABC, just like the old days.

At that time Dish was negotiating with 26 other tv entities, so I am assuming when they settled, other Dish customers rates went up, along with mine. I think that is why rates seem to go up about every billing cycle. They settle in California, and ole john here in Nebraska helps by paying more.

Let me know if you need help, I can give it a shot!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I got rid of my land line years ago, and haven't missed it for one second.  I only have my AT&T cell phone (an iphone) which my employer pays (lucky for me!).  I have AT&T Uverse and internet at home.  I pay $130 monthly and that does not include premium movie channels.  That price inlcudes HD TV service with DVR in the living room, and HD TV service (no DVR) in one bedroom.  Plus, I have a wireless router which is how I get access to the internet.  I'm seriously thinking of cutting the TV service because I'm really tired of paying for it.  While I watch HGTV, History Channel, Food Network and some cable news, it seems I'm paying for 500 channels of infomercials!  I really don't even watch a lot of QVC anymore.  I'm streaming more and more from Netflix and Amazon, so the tv "chord cutting" will come soon.  Its rediculous what these cable companies are charging -- I think they're just milking it cuz they know everything is going to be internet streaming very soon.  Its really ashame that they charge so muc!!

P.S.  Ge an Apple I-phone.  You'll be stunned at how easy it is to use!!!

Respected Contributor

I have a cell phone & a cell phone with my "home number" that I use for any business/appointments/etc.

I have internet with TWC/Spectrum that I pay $14.99 a month for. I can't believe that they haven't raised that price, yet, but that is what I was paying before & so far it has stayed the same.

I bought a wireless router ($79.99 Belkin-I had a Linksys which was CARP! Always loosing the signal & it was meant to be the newest & bestest.). You could replace a router every year-not that you will have too-& still pay less than the $10 a month lease. $120 a year!

I do pay $11.99 a month for hulu so that I don't get commercials that you get on the $7.99 a month plan, but still, for some shows you have to watch a commercial at the beginning & end of your show.

I have a dvd player that will stream Hulu, Netflix, Amazon on a tv in the craft/workout room (on the antenna it gets local stations) & I just bought a Samsung Smart tv for our living room so I can get those channels there, as well. It gets all kinds of stations with our antenna.

I have a tv in my bedroom, but it is just on the antenna & only gets ABC.

The plus. I do not miss paying almost $200 a month for tv.

The minus. I LOVE tv & this is all a bit of a hassle. I miss my dvr so much!  No pause. No rewind if you miss a bit. Rewinding & fast forwarding a show on hulu is a pain, but it can be done. 

So I am glad not to be paying so much for tv, but I am not really happy with my tv experience.