Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: ATT&T Phone Land Line - I Wanted My # Changed

In Pennsylvania, they have run out of phone numbers for our area code.  A few months ago, we got a new area code, so now where I live there are two area codes.  Every time I make an outgoing call, I must use the area code, even if I call my backyard neighbor. This is true for land lines and cell phones.

There are now so many phones out there, that it could be true for the OP’s area.  She might have to wait until numbers become available or a new area code is added.

Esteemed Contributor

True @Carmie. You used to think of one phone number servicing an entire household of people. Now, anyone over the age of 10 has a cell phone and their own phone number.
My city has completely run out of phone numbers for our exchange. Both of my cell phones have an exchange that is assigned to the next county. That's the only way I could get a phone number.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

You could contact your state Better Business Bureau and report it. They can inform you how to handle this for better results.

@LUVNLIFE  Good luck with that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 I am also in Illinois. I did swich to VOIP because it is much cheaper, however if the power in your neighborhood goes out, your phone is dead. They try to sell you a battery for the modem that is "supposed" to be a backup for the phone, but it ONLY works if the power just to your home is out. If the whole neighborhood is out so your modem can't connect to either AT&T or Comcast, (in my case) the battery is useless. That's $40.00 that you have to pay for the battery that does nothing. A landline is the only phone service that works if the neighborhood power goes out. I would rather have a landline, but the monthly cost is just too much. A friend pays almost $100.00 for her landline per month. They intentionally price it so high so you will drop it. I also am not sure if you can go back to a landline after switching to VOIP. Also with VOIP if you have to call even an 800 number on your cell because your VOIP is dead, you are charged by your cell company for each minute. It's only toll free if you are on a landline, or VOIP. When mine didn't work and I had to call AT&T to get it back working, my cell phone number billed for charges.  

Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc

i cannot imagine anyone having just a landline and it costing $100 a month. if you want to pay that much you might as well get a cell phone that has unlimted text, talk and internet.....it would be even cheaper.

even if you go with comcast or verizon around here you can get phone, internet, and basic cable for $80 for two years.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I read all the replies - thank you. Smiley Happy

This morning I was dealing with a health issue and emailed someone to call me asap. They emailed me back that my phone number was DISCONNECTED.

Of course I could not reach anyone at the AT& T place and they seem to have a 'recorded LOOP' so no matter which choice you pick, you are right back at square 1............n the end, they r not open on weekends.

My last number was 'unlisted'.....so this morning, finding it was gone, and a 'new number' had replaced it, I was horrified...

I could not think of how to find out what my new phone # is.....and no one from AT&T notified me of this either.

I finally decided, dial *82 or something like that, whick releases the # for viewing...if it's unlisted.

At least my landline was working....so I dialed my little LG cell........

There was my new land line phone number from lovely AT&T..... some new weird number I'll never remember.

And it's not unlisted now............... Smiley Frustrated

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Valued Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

You could contact your state Better Business Bureau and report it. They can inform you how to handle this for better results.

@LUVNLIFE  Good luck with that.

By all means, please share your experience with this particular issue and the BBB.

Respected Contributor

[[ I don't remember when things got so darn complicated with my phone (or phones in general).....I'd call AT&T and ask for a new #, and they'd give me a choice of 3 or 4...we'd decide which was easiest to remember...... That was not that long ago.....maybe 2010....]]

I was on the phone with ATT for a long time yesterday. First gal said my phone number had NOT been changed and something was very wrong with the number given me now....so, she passed me on to another department so they could REPAIR IT and my original # would be restored...............she was concerned how I got that new phone #.....which belonged to someone else.

Next dept. was the REPAIR guy....we went over it all again and again and again.....he said "OH, you wanted a new number so this one is your new number...there is nothing wrong at all - (I'm very frustrated by now)

I said I was not happy that no one told/notified me...and a few other charges added.....

This guy in repair said "Let's change it back to your old/original #"...... He felt it would be easier now to just go back to my first number and leave it at that.........I asked if he was sure, and he said yes..........so he passed me to yet another department to get my 1st number back again.....

Now I'm exhausted - talk with a new gal who informs me that it will most likely take at least 2+ days to get my FIRST phone number back if they can do it, then they.........'click/hang up'...........

So I am not a happy camper. I pay them a lot. I've used ATT for half a century or longer.

Smoke signals would be easier at this point in my life to communicate...!! Smiley Indifferent

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

wrote:

I don't know what is the big deal on getting a new #....They are always a bit hard to work with so I try to avoid them.

I called them earlier today and waited until a gal came on and I told her I wanted a new, unlisted # - She said they did not have any....and she'd call another department........then again came back  said that dept. did not have any #'s and they'd try another dept......What the heck?

Then of course while I was on the phone w/ her for so long, my phone went dead........I have to wait until Monday now and start over.

I've never had any problem getting a new number. My bill's are paid automatically. Does this seem odd to you ?

(I use a landline as it locates me for an emergency.)  

I hate to tell you this but, I new unlisted number will not stop ROBO calls.  ROBO calls are computer generated and not based on what is listed in the phone book.  Anyone who gets upset about ROBO calls should read your posts and ask themself if it's worth going through this or is it better to just ignore them or hang up. 

Now if someone is getting harassing phone calls from someone they know, call the police and file a complaint. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I hate to tell you this but, I new unlisted number will not stop ROBO calls.  ROBO calls are computer generated and not based on what is listed in the phone book.  Anyone who gets upset about ROBO calls should read your posts and ask themself if it's worth going through this or is it better to just ignore them or hang up. 

Now if someone is getting harassing phone calls from someone they know, call the police and file a complaint. 

Yup, this!   I've been 'unlisted' all my life.  It used to work great but now that these calls are all auto-generated there is no getting entirely around it.

I have nomorobo, what my provider has, and have been on the do not call list since it began, and the calls still come.   I don't get as many as some people because these services DO help.  But not enough.

I wish something could/would be done about this but I have a feeling it never will.   I would never answer any of these calls because it just legitimizes your number.  Next thing you know, your # is being sold to others and on and on it goes.   Not answering, at least, doesn't legitimize the number.  Maybe that's one reason I get a lot less of them than many people.

You can get phones with the ability to block.  This is good.  But a lot of them just use different random #s for each call.   I do see some that try to get through again with the same number that's been blocked already, though, so it does help.

During certain times when it gets much worse, I just turn off the phones.   Everybody can't do that - I do understand that.  But it just removes the anxiety for me, so that helps.  Smiley Happy

On my cell phone I use 'do not disturb' with the rule that only people in my contacts list can get through for both calling and texting.  That works great!