Respected Contributor

ATT&T Phone Land Line - I Wanted My # Changed

I don't know what is the big deal on getting a new #....They are always a bit hard to work with so I try to avoid them.

I called them earlier today and waited until a gal came on and I told her I wanted a new, unlisted # - She said they did not have any....and she'd call another department........then again came back  said that dept. did not have any #'s and they'd try another dept......What the heck?

Then of course while I was on the phone w/ her for so long, my phone went dead........I have to wait until Monday now and start over.

I've never had any problem getting a new number. My bill's are paid automatically. Does this seem odd to you ?

(I use a landline as it locates me for an emergency.)  

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

Re: ATT&T Phone Land Line - I Wanted My # Changed

I've found if big business doesn't want to be botherd with you or your problem will involve a lot of effort, they just hang up hoping someone else will get your next call.  Telephone services and tech support are famous for doing this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

can you just cancel your ATT service and go with another company?

most of these types of businesses are open during the weekends. try calling ATT tomorrow.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

You could contact your state Better Business Bureau and report it. They can inform you how to handle this for better results.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

You could contact your state Better Business Bureau and report it. They can inform you how to handle this for better results.

I've never had any luck with Better Business Bureau either.

Valued Contributor

AT&T wants to stop landlines. They want everyone on VOIP. That's why it's much cheaper to go with either their modem service or Comcast's. They never had any problem changing a number until they decided that noone should be on a landline. Now, you get switched from one person to another with a nice long wait on hold between each one, and many times they "accidentally" drop the call while switching it. It is possible to give you another number, but be prepared to wait on hold a long time while getting switched from each different department. When they don't want to deal with you, they have ways of making you want to just give up. That's their plan.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't know what is the big deal on getting a new #....They are always a bit hard to work with so I try to avoid them.

I called them earlier today and waited until a gal came on and I told her I wanted a new, unlisted # - She said they did not have any....and she'd call another department........then again came back  said that dept. did not have any #'s and they'd try another dept......What the heck?

Then of course while I was on the phone w/ her for so long, my phone went dead........I have to wait until Monday now and start over.

I've never had any problem getting a new number. My bill's are paid automatically. Does this seem odd to you ?

(I use a landline as it locates me for an emergency.)  

can you change your current number to unlisted?

Trusted Contributor

Call your local DTE or DPU - Let them know you need a new number for whatever reason and that safety is the issue. 

They will move quickly, I know, I'm retired from them. (and they do run out of numbers)

Honored Contributor

Shopper is absolutely correct.  AT&T does not want to support landline phones.  In IL as I understand it, AT&T is required to offer landline service because of so many rural areas that have poor or no cell service.  I'm in Chicago and it is costing me a lot of money for a landline.  Would be a lot cheaper with VOIP but I find that service to be the pits.  When we had VOIP I used to count how long it took for me to be connected.  It was between 12 and 15 seconds.  I could be dead in that time.  With landline it's 2 or 3 seconds.  I will never williningly give up my landline.

Esteemed Contributor

Be patient @cbrite. What you've described is not unusual. Is your account with AT&T, or another provider like Safelink, who might partner with AT&T?