Honored Contributor

AT&T U-verse phone and internet question.

I recently changed to it and i read on my bill summary page about possibly needing a back up batter if electricty goes off.

What do you think..do i need to buy a extra battery pack?? if so where and what type.??

Thank you.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

Re: AT&T U-verse phone and internet question.

I have U-Verse phone, internet and TV bundled.  When the guy set it up (years ago), it came with a separate battery backup in addition to the "gateway", or router (it's a small black thing).  When the power goes out, you will have no landline phone service at all.  That's the one thing about U-Verse phone that I don't like. 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde

thank you for your reply..

when i had my regular AT&T phone system  i bought a  regular phone  so if electricty whent off it  i still had a telephone

So now from what you said..it won't even work now even though it's "not 'a battery telephone?

preds 06-21-20
Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have U-verse DSL phone service.

It's no longer landline phone service.

It's now Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) service, so it works with your computer over the Internet.

In our area, they are going to be switching over from the old landline service to the newer VOIP service for high speed Internet service. You won't be able to have the old landline service anymore. 

When there is a power interruption, you don't have any phone service with VOIP unless you have their battery back-up, which you can get through them.

It will provide a couple of hours worth of phone back-up in the event that the power goes out.

My husband and I have cell. phones, so we don't have the battery back-up at this time, but that's not to say that we wouldn't get it.

I personally think that it's a good idea to have it, just in case my cell. phone isn't charged or I am unable to get cell. service, and so on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers

thank you for your reply .

I have  only been hooked up  about 7days and recieved a bill already and i noticed that they a paragraph about a back up battery that they sold .I only signed up for 'u-verse /internet service/wi fi "....not tv as i have a Dish Network and still use "my "own phones not  theirs.

@Toppers

EDITED this to clarify about what phones i'm using "not" their U-verse phone

Sorry, i forgot to say that in my first post.

Our town is so small that they are only replacing  new lines from house to telephone pole when we complain about slow internet service/'phone service.

I was told i would be getting fiber optic  service.. but when service man was replacing my old telephone line i asked him if i was getting the fiber optic??

He laughed.. and told me no as no one in our part of the state has it! We all have telephone poles and lines.

Thank you for your  advice.and information it helped me.

preds 06-21-20
Trusted Contributor

@cowboy sam wrote:

@Toppers

I have  only been hooked up  about 7days and recieved a bill already and i noticed that they a paragraph about a back up battery that they sold .I only signed up for phone/internet service/wi fi ....not tv as i have a Dish Network.

Our town is so small that they are only replacing  new lines from house to telephone pole when we complain about slow internet service/'phone service.

I was told i would be getting fiber optic  service.. but when service man was replacing my old telephone line i asked him if i was getting the fiber optic??

He laughed and told me no as no one in our part of the state has it! We all have telephone poles and lines.

You're welcome, @cowboy sam.

I'm glad that I could help you. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@cowboy sam wrote:

@Toppers

I have  only been hooked up  about 7days and recieved a bill already and i noticed that they a paragraph about a back up battery that they sold .I only signed up for 'u-verse /internet service/wi fi "....not tv as i have a Dish Network and still use "my "own phones not  theirs.

@Toppers

EDITED this to clarify about what phones i'm using "not" their U-verse phone

Sorry, i forgot to say that in my first post.

He laughed.. and told me no as no one in our part of the state has it! We all have telephone poles and lines.

@cowboy sam  Sorry to get back to you so late, but, just so you understand.........U-Verse does not give you a new or different phone. They hook your old phone(s) up to their service.  I do have the battery backup for mine, but honestly, I've never used it.  When the power has gone out it's usually at night and the darned thing is in a dark corner where I can't even see how to turn it on!  (It doesn't kick in automatically.)

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde

So i think i was concerned over nothing.

TYVM for more info.Heart

I will save my money then..lol!

preds 06-21-20
Honored Contributor

Re: The back-up battery, they may just give it out (free) to those with a DVR box, so all pre-programming wouldn't be lost, especially if one was out of town. I was given a battery back-up box without asking (or even knowing about it) free with my package (TV, internet, phone) package. Now that I think about it, I'm sure it was hooked up to the box and would have had nothing to do with the phone or internet.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all