Trusted Contributor

Are you saying you have bundled services?

If so, there could still be a problem with the just the phone service. We have a Cox bundle with phone, TV and internet. Sometimes one service will go out and the others will still work.

I'd contact your cable company and have them do a check from their offices to see if you have phone service.

Hopefully you have a cell phone as a backup?

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/15/2014 kivah said:

I have 3 cordless phones - one in my bedroom (with the answering machine) and 2 more downstairs. I have Time Warner Cable - and today my phones went dead. My computer is working. Any suggestions?

You should call your phone company. This sounds like a service problem.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm electronically challenged. I have bundled services thru Time Warner. My neighbor Louise came over and called Time Warner on her cell phone. The rep told her to pull out the phone plug and one cable cord from my modem/router - and he re-set it from his end. The cable guy that came over to connect my modem/router several weeks ago - told me the modem is weak. Still having problems with my computer disconnecting whenever I leave my computer for more than 3 minutes. I'm going to buy my own modem/router but right now I don't have anyone to connect it for me. Today I rec'd several adapters from Time Warner for my t.v.'s --- looks like a major job to connect.

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/20/2014 kivah said:

I'm electronically challenged. I have bundled services thru Time Warner. My neighbor Louise came over and called Time Warner on her cell phone. The rep told her to pull out the phone plug and one cable cord from my modem/router - and he re-set it from his end. The cable guy that came over to connect my modem/router several weeks ago - told me the modem is weak. Still having problems with my computer disconnecting whenever I leave my computer for more than 3 minutes. I'm going to buy my own modem/router but right now I don't have anyone to connect it for me. Today I rec'd several adapters from Time Warner for my t.v.'s --- looks like a major job to connect.

You should use TWC equipment. I would not buy a wireless gateway/eMTA/modem/router. The company will come and service their own products.

Esteemed Contributor

nutmeg: the modem/router combo is from Time Warner. It doesn't have enough power -- the guy was here twice. That's why I need to buy my own plus they charge $10/mo. for using it.

Respected Contributor
On 5/21/2014 kivah said:

nutmeg: the modem/router combo is from Time Warner. It doesn't have enough power -- the guy was here twice. That's why I need to buy my own plus they charge $10/mo. for using it.

Why not get a stronger one from Time Warner?

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/21/2014 glb613 said:
On 5/21/2014 kivah said:

Why not get a stronger one from Time Warner?

She may have to upgrade service to get a better quality eMTA. I would say from 15/2 to 25/5 or 50/10.

Esteemed Contributor

I called Time Warner about the problem - and the guy didn't give me any advice. I'm going over to their local office tomorrow - as I just ordered 4 adapters for my t.v.'s (since my t.v.'s are not Hi Def. I now realize that I don't need them. I'll ask about the modem/router - but I've been told it's best to buy my own (and a lot cheaper than spending $10/mo. for theirs).

Respected Contributor

You need to find out if you have a dial tone, follow okiebug's suggestion. Or if you happen to have a non cordless phone handy, plug it in. If you get a dial tone on it, the problem is either with your phones or internal wiring. If you get no dial tone, then the problem is with on your provider's end.

Our telephone service went down yesterday. The computer also went down, but came back on about three hours later. About 9AM this morning the phones worked again. Serviceman came out and we talked about what could have caused this. He said the company has a remote card for each telephone number and something might have occurred on their end and the techs picked up on it this morning. Too complicated for me.

I always keep a non cordless phone handy. It is the only way we can call out in the event our electricity goes out.

I must clarify that I too do not have access to cable telephone service, so my info above may not apply in your situation.

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/21/2014 kivah said:

I called Time Warner about the problem - and the guy didn't give me any advice. I'm going over to their local office tomorrow - as I just ordered 4 adapters for my t.v.'s (since my t.v.'s are not Hi Def. I now realize that I don't need them. I'll ask about the modem/router - but I've been told it's best to buy my own (and a lot cheaper than spending $10/mo. for theirs).

You are right. It is cheaper to own equipment than to rent. One problem, if you internet service is not working the company will not fix it. I own my own cable modem, and will be replacing it mine soon. You need to ask CS which product the company recommends from the approved list for your level of service.