Frequent Contributor

I am looking a purchasing the 2017 model of the Apple MacBook, cost is 1599$.I own a 2016 model of the IMac Pro, with the touch bar feature, 13 in screen, and love it, but needing a more compact, lighter weight computer for my travel position. Any thoughts about this particular laptop from owners? Thinking of trading in or selling the IMac Pro! MJ

Honored Contributor

I’m guessing you mean MacBook Pro because the iMac is a desktop not a laptop and the pro model didn’t even come out until 2017. If you want smaller and lighter what about the MacBook Air? Or even an iPad? What do you need it to do? Do you actually need to use any programs that require Mac OS instead of iOS ? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

"2016 model of the IMac Pro, with the touch bar feature, 13 in screen,"

No such animal....

iMac Pro

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at Sun, Feb 4, 2018-10.08.59 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Do you live near an Apple Retail Store or an Authorized Apple Reseller?  If you do, why not go there, explain how you'll use a computer in your "travel position", and find out what's available to fill that need.  If you don't, you can all the Apple "800" number and talk to someone involved in product sales and discuss your needs with that person.  "Compact" could be an iPad or a MacBook Air or even an iPhone.  Get some good advice from Apple before you make a purchase.

Frequent Contributor

Re: APPLE COMPUTER ?

[ Edited ]

Good morning everyone!! 

I am so sorry to have led all of my responders astray!! Clarification on my part needed!

I should have said that I have the 2016 model of the MacBook Pro. It’s a very good computer , but it’s too heavy for the job I need to do. I did look at the MacBook Air, but they do not have retina display, hence my question about the Apple MacBook! Was inquiring with anyone who has a MacBook , since I am planning on selling my MacBook Pro! 

Thank you! MJ

Respected Contributor

Is the lack of "retina display" a "deal-breaker"?  If it is, then I guess your next choice is a MacBook.  Actually, there are MacBook models that are lighter than the MacBook Air.  You can check the Apple website for specs and weights.  I have had MacBooks in the past.  My only problem with them was that they never left my desk and I forgot to "exercise" the battery; I'm not sure that's an issue with today's product.  Otherwise, I liked them so much that i was led to the iMacs. 

Occasional Contributor

I have a Macbook, love it.   

I went from an older model Macbook Air to the Macbook in 2016,  no problems at all other than the keys are different in the way they feel when you type but I got used to in no time. 

I have the really pretty Rose Gold model (not a tech spec but sure is pretty)

Good luck. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC Active link posted ****Against standard****

Honored Contributor

What do you mean by rollback? Usually that means go back to a previous version of the OS. You can run windows on a Mac using parallels but you need to purchase a full copy of windows to install. Google running windows on a Mac. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I was at a similar place (I trashed my 2011 Pro when I spilled wine on it back in 2017) and I went with the Air - I looked, and really, the retina display and the "quiet touch" or whatever they were calling the track pad didn't justify one dollar more, IMO.

Then there was the issue of the dongles.  Oh, and the lack of "surround" on the display screen mattered not one whit to me on the pricier new pretty colored MacBook.

I just concluded that the Air was a proven workhorse that still has a good reputation.  It is very slim, though I rarely take it out.  I'm not a DJ or anything - the power and memory of my machine is perfectly adequate.  Anymore I can use my phone for what I need outside the house.  My old Pro was definitely bulkier.

Apple's website does a nice comparison of models of your choice.  I glean a lot of info surfing Mac forums and also reading industry articles.

Just my very opinionated thoughts here!

Cogito ergo sum